My first complete Iron Pontil, and a dandy to boot!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

willong

Reaction score
Way to go Stephen!

I just got off work, and you provided me with the first high of the day. Beautiful find; I'm happy for you. However, a bummer followed; (there's always an however, isn't there?) Woody already beat me to my punchline: Envy has made me greener than your bottle.

Heed the good advice you're getting from forum members: dig the site systematically and thoroughly, and hang on to that bottle if you can afford to.

Congratulations and regards,

Will

surfaceone

Reaction score
High hosannas, Plumby,

What an outstanding find! I think Charlie may have summed it up, "That could well be the bottle find of 2009." A wave of the spade to you.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Hey now,...Amazing find just like that!....You'll probably be in shock for days....Like you, if I find something good...for whatever reason, I usually am inclined to pack it in,...(no sense annoying the bottle gods with greed)[:D] After all they were more than generous.
Joe

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
I showed my son Quincy a picture of your find !

BF797B70B48C4DBEBCC39F199580A45D.jpg

Attachments

• BF797B70B48C4DBEBCC39F199580A45D.jpg
    BF797B70B48C4DBEBCC39F199580A45D.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 47

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
I'm hedging on the idea of not selling it. If it can bring $3000-$5000, and that could change your financial security, selling it might be the right choice. Cause if you break it accidently, you'd be fit to be tied. Just take your time and get a good price, and lots of advice. If you sell it, ask to keep track of it, if the buyer winds up reselling at some point. Then when you're a millionaire someday, you can buy it back. Just my 2¢. Congrats again, what a great thing!

appliedlips

Reaction score
WOW, that is a killer jar! I am not sure what you are describing as far as damage, but if cleaned with no bruises or potstones with issues I think $3500+ is very realistic. Way to go! I agree with those who say keep it.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Wow, so many responses to get to!

I suppose it can wait until tomorrow?

As far as damage goes, it has a silica potstone but it is small and has absolutely no radiating cracks or any other damage associated. After carefully inspecting the bottle, it does have a very small bruise in one of the corners which may go through 20% or 25% of the glass in the spot, but it is by no means a flash, and certainly no crack. The bottle has scratches and evidence of a great deal of use, but it is solid. I gotta say that I am happy with the thing. I guess I finally have an idea regarding what privy digging is all about now, heh.

ncbred

Reaction score
WOW! I'm a soda man but that is one fine bottle I must say. I know I would keep it. Next question is....to clean or not to clean? I'd probably leave that one the way it is.

cadburys

Reaction score
We both happen to know of a prominent collector in your home town that will be selling a very nice local collection... One very cool bottle from a place far far away or 15 extremely rare local sodas and beers. Hmmmm. I know what I'd choose. There are so many different opinions about what you should do with the jar and all of them carry some merit, that I understand... Me, I'd sell it in a heart beat and put some money towards bills and some towards bottles. In the end the only right thing to do is what you want... there will be be plenty of time for regret in the future :)

Ant

sandchip

Reaction score
First pontilled bottle dug, colored, and rare as all get out to boot! I'm tickled for you, Plums. It gives hope to all those later dumps out there. Sell it? Things would have to get pretty bad before I'd let it go.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause