My first ebay listing... Tips?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score

jays emporium

Reaction score
That is a nice looking and informative listing. I have one suggestion. Change your shipping method to USPS First Class Mail. You can ship that bottle anywhere in the USA in a small box, weighing less than 13 ounces for about $3. Priority mail will cost you about double that for the same size and weight package. Since you are offering Free Shipping that will put extra money in your pocket. Even when you charge the buyer for shipping they appreciate the lower cost of First Class and theoretically the bids will be higher.
You can only use First Class for parcels of 13 ounces or less. Over 13 ounces it's usually most cost effective to use Priority Mail. I use the rectangular white baseball card boxes to ship my smaller bottles First Class. They cost me about 25 cents each in bulk and are sturdy enough to hold up in the mail system.
Good luck with ebay. I have been using it for 14 years.
Jay

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jays emporium

That is a nice looking and informative listing. I have one suggestion. Change your shipping method to USPS First Class Mail. You can ship that bottle anywhere in the USA in a small box, weighing less than 13 ounces for about $3. Priority mail will cost you about double that for the same size and weight package. Since you are offering Free Shipping that will put extra money in your pocket. Even when you charge the buyer for shipping they appreciate the lower cost of First Class and theoretically the bids will be higher.
You can only use First Class for parcels of 13 ounces or less. Over 13 ounces it's usually most cost effective to use Priority Mail. I use the rectangular white baseball card boxes to ship my smaller bottles First Class. They cost me about 25 cents each in bulk and are sturdy enough to hold up in the mail system.
Good luck with ebay. I have been using it for 14 years.
Jay

Thanks, I revised it. I have some small boxes lying around, I guess I'll use those.

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
I've been Ebay for about 8 years, since I was 16 and my parents had me posting all of their unwanted stuff.

Statistical, Sunday is they best time to end an auction, Friday is statically the worst. I end mine at 10pm Eastern 7pm West so everyone is around to bid. This might change during football season. Alyso, summer tends to be very slow.

Upload your one free pic through ebay, extra pics cost 15 cents each. Upload any addition pics to Photobucket. Go to your Ebay listing description and click the HTML Tab. Copy the "HTML Code" from Photobucket and paste it into the Ebay listing. You can post as many pics as you want for free like this.

The post office is making it hard to make ANY profit on lower priced items. They are trying to make up for all they business lost by paperless bills, advertisements ect. I ship mostly parcel post or first class unless the item bought in $100+ Askthe person at the post office to stamp your package fragile.

Shipping internationally can be a pain in the balls. I just shipped a $1200 watch and had my fingers crossed for 2 weeks. Had to write "precision timing instrument" on the customs form and hope that some mail carrier in Singapore didn't end up with a free Leoultre.

Make insurance optional, paid by the buyer. You include this when you send the buyer an invoice. Anything over $100 I include insurance and delivery confirmation.

Your description well typed and very detailed.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: xxfollyxx

Statistical, Sunday is they best time to end an auction, Friday is statically the worst. I end mine at 10pm Eastern 7pm West so everyone is around to bid. This might change during football season. Alyso, summer tends to be very slow.

[:-]

Anyway, it says three people are watching the listing! Are any of those three you guys, by any chance? [:D]

LtlBtl

Reaction score
Very nice job. Well written , as many have said.
my couple cents on ebay and listing:
1. As said, anything under 13oz, 1st class. Don't forget to weigh packing materials-I allow at least 4oz up to 1 lb item and then same every 1/2 lb after.
2. Add a handling charge which will cover delivery confirmation. Which is to cover your butt.
3. Free shipping gets weird when you get someone buying multiple items. Since it is in theory already worked into price, you may lose multiple purchases because of higher starting price.
4. Don't start anything lower than you willing to accept. hoping/expecting something to sell high from low start is something I have done too many times.

It's pretty easy to bash on Ebay, but it still pays my bills.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem