My first ebay listing... Tips?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

justanolddigger

Reaction score
nice listing, I think you did a great job. I put in a bid and might bid again at the end. I like getting drugstores from places I have visited, I know other do also, and I think the Bar Harbors are popular for that reason. I really don't think ending time matters much anymore with all the snipe programs. Good luck with your auction. I bid under the handle "thealdenwave"
Bill

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: justanolddigger

nice listing, I think you did a great job. I put in a bid and might bid again at the end. I like getting drugstores from places I have visited, I know other do also, and I think the Bar Harbors are popular for that reason. I really don't think ending time matters much anymore with all the snipe programs. Good luck with your auction. I bid under the handle "thealdenwave"
Bill

Thanks for the bid justanolddigger! I'd rather someone from the forum win it than somebody I don't know.

I hate eBay's anonymous bidding system, so I'll do away with the secrecy: you are bidding against "southernglass". Why a southern collector would buy a Maine bottle... Who knows.

cc6pack

Reaction score
Connor

There are ways to cut shipping costs. You can get free Priority boxes from the PO or go online and have them shipped to you free. Hope you have a scale to weigh your shipments, then you can print your own shipping labels from PayPal. The baseball card boxes work great if they are at least 4in. X6in. Hopefully you saved some of the peanuts or bubblewrap from some of your purchases. If not a lot of stores throw that stuff away check with a few. One more thing if you are going to offer free shipping resure the buyer that the bottle will be packed safely. Good luck

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I've got plenty of bubble wrap and peanuts and newspapers, so that's not an issue. I've also got a lot of boxes of various sizes from bottles I've bought.

How does printing a shipping label from eBay work? Do you have to fill out things, or does it automatically do it?

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
After the auction ends look under SOLD. On the right under the Actions column it click Print shipping label. Select your shipping method (priority, first class ect) enter the package weight and click Print and Pay.
All address info is entered automatically. You pay through Paypal and print the label, and tape it on. Then just drop the package at the post office. I usually skip the line and toss it on the desk, and tell them it's paid.

cc6pack

Reaction score
Few more things.If you ship anything other than Priority you have to pay for DC, through PP it's 19 cents PO is 65 I think. Also you can ask the buyer to pay for ins. but he does not have to and you are responsible if something happens to the bottle even if he refuses to pay for ins. I use to have an account with UPS and they would send me the free stick on labels.

Topusmc

Reaction score
Three things:

1) Touchy subject....under shipping you can add in a shipping & handling charge. I charge $1. Helps to defray the cost of bubble wrap & clear packing tape.

2) If there is a Books store near by, they usually recycle the boxes, Borders was a good place to look before they went belly up, boxes are always knocked down and all the same size so you cut them down to size or put them together to build a BIG box.

3) I don't do this but I know some folks do.....order shipping labels from Fed-Ex, they come sticky so all you do is print and stick, the remaining part of the paper is your receipt! (Tip from the thrifty wife)

justanolddigger

Reaction score
1) Touchy subject....under shipping you can add in a shipping & handling charge. I charge $1. Helps to defray the cost of bubble wrap & clear packing tape.

You add a dollar to the shipping, I take a dollar off my bid, what is gained?? When I see fair or free shipping, I am interested, charge more for shipping, I don't bid

justanolddigger

Reaction score
[quote

You add a dollar to the shipping, I take a dollar off my bid, what is gained?? When I see fair or free shipping, I am interested, charge more for shipping, I either reduce my bid or don't bid.

Topusmc

Reaction score
The bidder can not see that the seller is charging a S&H fee, unless the shipping fee is way out of line. I can tell you that $1 don't come close to covering the cost. I don't make money on S&H charge.

Buy something online from a company and see if you pay $4-5 S&H cost.

I sell about 20-50 items a month depending on what i can find hitting Saturday yard sales and the occasional auction.

My sell vs unsold rate is about 99.9%sold to .01 % unsold so I must doing something right. Been at it since 1998.
ALL my auctions start at .99 cents with no reserve no matter what I have in the item or expected selling price to cover what I have in it. Someone bids on it, its sold.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skippy4747