need info on amber pontil please (pictures)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

junkortreasure?

Reaction score
I went digging for awhile yesterday and came home with a lot of bottles, amber what i beleive to be a pontil was one of more interesting finds there is no embossing or markings on it any info on them ( how old is it? , what it was used for? value?) would be much apprieciated, If you need any specific pictures or close ups let me know and i will take and post them. Thanks

Ge96139.jpg

Attachments

• Ge96139.jpg
    Ge96139.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 91

digdug

Reaction score
I believe it was a whiskey flask. I've found a few before. But, I don't really know much else about it.

deepwoods

Reaction score
Not pontiled,but it appears to have alot of puce coloration(purplish/redish brown)which gives it more value. I'd like to see a photo in stronger back light. Nice little flask.

medbottle

Reaction score
Hello, and welcome to the forum. Your bottle is indeed a whiskey flask, probably from the 1890's as noted by digdug. It's not pontilled, however. The depression on the bottom of your flask was made by the mold. While they do look nice in the window, these unembossed smooth based flasks are pretty common and only sell for a couple o' bucks unless they are an unusual color. Keep diggin'....your spot has the right age to yield some nice stuff. [:)]

junkortreasure?

Reaction score
Deepwoods, here is a picture with better backlighting let me know what you think, Thanks for all the info i will keep digging as soon as the weather clears up it is supposed to rain for the next few days[:(] thanks again.

Tr50912.jpg

Attachments

• Tr50912.jpg
    Tr50912.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 85

deepwoods

Reaction score
Junk - Sure appears to have alot of puce,which makes it certainly more desirable. These type of common flasks in unusual colors are a tough call - just depends on the takers - Ive seen them go from 20 to 100 bucks depending on how unusual the color is. It'll certainly look nice with the sunlight shining through it in somebody's window,if not yours.

junkortreasure?

Reaction score
Thanks for the info i am not sure what am going do with it yet but it does look nice with light coming through it. Maybe i will dig more tomorrow if there is a break in the rain , maybe some better finds. thanks again

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks