New ACL's for me from Napier's Country Antiques..Choice of the Canadian Pickers!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Canadacan

Reaction score
Thank you for the comment bottlingco!My main focus is Western Canadian sodas and USA Orange Crush....but along the way I pick up the odd bottle from eastern Canada and have a few USA...one of them is a 'Good Heap' soda with an Indian head on it ..I love the graphics on it.Is the 'From the Hat' as in Medicine Hat Alberta?...I can't think of the bottle...do you have a picture? And while I'm at here are 3 bottles I picked the same day at Village Antiques in Fort Langley.A 10 oz Gurd's from 1953 marked Orange Crush Limited on the bottom, then this tough to find 6.5 oz Webb's stubby dated 1944...with arrow before and after 'Stubby' on the upper shoulder....I don't recall that variation, neat shade of green too! Then the America Dry 10 oz by Orange Crush dated 1963...love the ACL on the neck. [attachment=Webb's Stubby.jpg]

Attachments

• 482ebe1b380c422eba5784cf538ecb9b.jpg
    482ebe1b380c422eba5784cf538ecb9b.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 82

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Oh yeah, that Felix is pretty gone at this point, not worth picking up unless it's a dollar or so, in my opinion anyway. The ACL's never seem to get as much attention as the paper labels anyway. That orange peel Cross bottle is really weird, I never knew they used that style top on any soda bottles, let alone one from BC. I have a similar bottle only clear with a regular crown top. And I never knew the other Cross bottle came in a BIM version, they used that design for a really long time then! I have one of those with an ACL label on the other side. I'd say later than the twenties, though, probably more like the thirties or early forties.I think you're probably right about that being a converted three piece mold, or a converted mold of some sort anyway. I have several bottles that look like they're from converted molds. 1905 seems a bit early, not much use of ABM bottles in Western Canada at that point, I'd guess more like 1915-25 or somewhere around there.That's the only size or variation of Silver King bottles that I know of, but it seems weird that there would at least be a smaller size, so I'm thinking that there must be other types.

Canadacan

Reaction score
It was only a couple of bucks for the Felix...and I still left it!...lol. That orange peel Cross bottle is made in the USA by Illinois Pacific Glass Corporation (1926-1930) IPG in a Triangle or the company that took over the Illinois Pacific Coast Co. (1930-1932) IPC in a Triangle. It has their trade mark on it, tricky to see but under magnification on a un-stippled bottle you can see the G or a C ...and on this one I can't tell because of the orange peel finish and the PRIOF top (USA Orange Crush I posted has the same top), these examples have date codes on the crown....at this point I'm left with 1926-32....can't complain about that.The Vancouver Whistle is made by IPG...now I can't tell that because the cross hatched finish obscures the letters in the Triangle, I know this because of the date code #8 on the crown... 1928.And one more is the Thorpe & Co Vancouver made by IPC...clear as bell on this one and dated 1930. Im pretty sure the Cross I have is a BIM?...have a look. Yes I've seen the label you mentioned in ACL many years ago but the seller want a ridiculous price for a weathered out label. Yea maybe that make more sense 30's 0r 40's with that Cross's looking at it again, you know it has C.T.G on the bottom and a catalog #1188...and a mold #2. the older one has a #601 on the base? Remember the Rumming with the orange peel?...the base has C.T.G. catalog #1198 with the large R. One of us is going to figure that out...My pet theory is It's Consumers glass?.....Being located in Quebec at the time maybe the acronym is in French?....It does have the C and the G....Consumers Trade Glass? It's probably something simpler....I'm just grasping for an answer. Yea I suppose 1905 on the King Edward is a wee bit early considering Alberta did not get a plant till 1913...assuming that's were it was made. That mold seems like a four piece without the other Horizontal line...you can see how easily they could just change the face plate. [attachment=Black Bear Brand3.jpg] [attachment=Black Bear Brand2.jpg] [attachment=Black Bear Brand1.jpg]

Attachments

• 13f3618da26342cca7fc00b6d9923a71.jpg
    13f3618da26342cca7fc00b6d9923a71.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 3a79baddc4c848e0a6b69e4cb9564298.jpg
    3a79baddc4c848e0a6b69e4cb9564298.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 78
  • 4f6adc65024b4f8bb8055b4249992ea3.jpg
    4f6adc65024b4f8bb8055b4249992ea3.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 74

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I'd be interested to see your Thorpe's, for some reason I never came across an ABM Thorpe's and can't find a picture of one online. Only Thorpe's I have is an internal thread one, the larger Registered at Ottawa one. Sort of fits into my Eastern Canada collection as well, haha!Yeah that one's definitely BIM, that's interesting. I got my ACL about seven or so years ago I think, don't remember how much I paid but I never pay much for bottles so it can't have been more than ten dollars or so. I've only seen one since, and it was a different version with an ACL in similar condition to that Felix. And it was on Ebay, for twenty dollars plus shipping or something.I really doubt that CTG is a French acronym, I know a little French and can't think what it would stand for. Plus any anglophone company in Montreal using French on their products (unless specifically targeting French Canadians) is almost unheard of pre-Quiet Revolution.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yea I don't really know French and was just grasping for ideas; well it must be for use by the just glass house that made it.The Thorpe's is a neat little 6.5oz...It's the only one I've seen that I can remember....possible I've overlooked a few but who knows. But if you've never seen one makes me wonder..are they tough?One thing that sets it apart from anything that I have ever seen is the statement on the back heel!...ding ding ding!...do we have a winner here?..lol , I have a pretty good idea why it's there :) [attachment=Thorpe1.jpg] The IPC Triangle mark with a ZERO to the right denoting the year 1930[attachment=Thorpe2.jpg] [attachment=Thorpe3.jpg]

Attachments

• 11c8154cc623410197a101dcba6a7eb1.jpg
    11c8154cc623410197a101dcba6a7eb1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 73
  • fd947086a845429295aa89f50ac74558.jpg
    fd947086a845429295aa89f50ac74558.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 8a3c2500de7f4b8bbd234786ea148095.jpg
    8a3c2500de7f4b8bbd234786ea148095.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 66

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That looks vaguely familiar, I might have seen one or two of those over the years, but definitely don't have one. I think Thorpe's had declined a lot by the time ABM bottles were introduced, the BIM ones are much more common it seems. The neck ring is interesting, brings to mind those Chinese beer bottles. What does Col'd Comp'd mean anyway? And I'll be interested to hear what your theory is on the message on the back, I've never seen that on any other bottles.

bottlingco

Reaction score
Canadacan said:
Thank you for the comment bottlingco!My main focus is Western Canadian sodas and USA Orange Crush....but along the way I pick up the odd bottle from eastern Canada and have a few USA...one of them is a 'Good Heap' soda with an Indian head on it ..I love the graphics on it.Is the 'From the Hat' as in Medicine Hat Alberta?...I can't think of the bottle...do you have a picture? And while I'm at here are 3 bottles I picked the same day at Village Antiques in Fort Langley.A 10 oz Gurd's from 1953 marked Orange Crush Limited on the bottom, then this tough to find 6.5 oz Webb's stubby dated 1944...with arrow before and after 'Stubby' on the upper shoulder....I don't recall that variation, neat shade of green too! Then the America Dry 10 oz by Orange Crush dated 1963...love the ACL on the neck. [attachImg]https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/download.axd?file=0;664761&where=message&f=Webb's Stubby.jpg[/attachImg]
Yes the 'From the Hat' is from Medicine Hat. It has an Indian Headdress on the front label. I am going to attempt a picture. Wish me luck! LOL! You mentioned a Heep Good from the U.S. I have several versions of Heep Good bottles, but there are many versions that I don't have. ~bottlingco[attachment=From the Hat.JPG]

Attachments

• 6a483153141a49acb064b2169fed52e4.jpg
    6a483153141a49acb064b2169fed52e4.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 103

Canadacan

Reaction score
CanadianBottles said:
That looks vaguely familiar, I might have seen one or two of those over the years, but definitely don't have one. I think Thorpe's had declined a lot by the time ABM bottles were introduced, the BIM ones are much more common it seems. The neck ring is interesting, brings to mind those Chinese beer bottles. What does Col'd Comp'd mean anyway? And I'll be interested to hear what your theory is on the message on the back, I've never seen that on any other bottles.
Yes the neck ring dose remind one of those Chinese bottles. Well the Cold with the apostrophe may be a typo but the Comp'd is for complimentary-or free. May have been a custom order thing for high end hotel or even steam ship cruises for the luxury executive suites. Or strictly free company sample given to prospective cliental.I'll check the directories archives see when they fell off the radar.

Canadacan

Reaction score
bottlingco said:
Canadacan said:
Thank you for the comment bottlingco!My main focus is Western Canadian sodas and USA Orange Crush....but along the way I pick up the odd bottle from eastern Canada and have a few USA...one of them is a 'Good Heap' soda with an Indian head on it ..I love the graphics on it.Is the 'From the Hat' as in Medicine Hat Alberta?...I can't think of the bottle...do you have a picture? And while I'm at here are 3 bottles I picked the same day at Village Antiques in Fort Langley.A 10 oz Gurd's from 1953 marked Orange Crush Limited on the bottom, then this tough to find 6.5 oz Webb's stubby dated 1944...with arrow before and after 'Stubby' on the upper shoulder....I don't recall that variation, neat shade of green too! Then the America Dry 10 oz by Orange Crush dated 1963...love the ACL on the neck.
Yes the 'From the Hat' is from Medicine Hat. It has an Indian Headdress on the front label. I am going to attempt a picture. Wish me luck! LOL! You mentioned a Heep Good from the U.S. I have several versions of Heep Good bottles, but there are many versions that I don't have. ~bottlingco
Thanks for posting that!....really cool bottle that I do not have, Never seen it before! Here is the Heep Good I have, it's a 6.5 oz Owens glass mark...dated 1950. I got it somewhere on Vancouver Island back in the 90's, grabed it because I thought it was so cool!...that is one of the few USA sodas I have. [attachment=Heep Good.jpg]

Attachments

• b88faadf10814d87a2f25a7a358b4cb1.jpg
    b88faadf10814d87a2f25a7a358b4cb1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 74

Canadacan

Reaction score
Canadacan said:
CanadianBottles said:
Yes the neck ring dose remind one of those Chinese bottles. Well the Cold with the apostrophe may be a typo but the Comp'd is for complimentary-or free. May have been a custom order thing for high end hotel or even steam ship cruises for the luxury executive suites. Or strictly free company sample given to prospective cliental.I'll check the directories archives see when they fell off the radar.
Ok looks like Thorpe & Co disapeared around 1934. Somthing I had thought about was that Col'd Comp'd could be abbreviation for Cold Compounded which is usually a term reserved for the making or distilling of Gin?...But it essentially means infused. Well regardless what it refers to it's very bizarre to see on a soda bottle.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26