old labels and box cntent

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epgorge

Reaction score
Does the bottle have a sealed top (lead or wax?) corkscrew ring?

Lobey,
The cork is almost flush with the top of the bottle and appears to have had a paper seal, as there is remant of something in the grain of the corkl

The stamp with it was a 5/8 cent stamp from the 1896 series. It is postmarked March 26, 1900. I assume that is when it was shipped. I am to understand Dana Carpenter made his own remedies right in Middletown Springs. I will get a picture of the old pharmacy store for you as it is still standing today. It is about 7 miles from me and I will take my camera the next time I go that way.

Another interesting point I found out about the Grays and Clark Middletown Springs bottle, is it was bottled at the Gray Foundry in Poultney, Vermont. The bottles were produced in Stoddard, the water came from Middletown Springs, but Gray was a diverse businessman (horses, machinery, health springs) and had his work force available in Poultney, seven miles away.
Joel

cookie

Reaction score
Joel-You keep coming up with all this info. about Middletown Springs they'll make you the "new guy" at the Historical Society! Ha Ha!

epgorge

Reaction score

Some new info for those interested
Dana S. Carpenter
of Middletown Springs, Republican, was born in Westminster, Jan. 7, 1863; he is a druggist and located in town in 1888; was educated at the Castleton Normal School; has been several times elected justice of the peace and secretary of the school board. Religious preference, Congregationalist. http://www.geneabios.com/vermont/rutland.htm

epgorge

Reaction score
The Grip Syrup ingredients concocted by Dana Carpenter at his store in Middletown Springs, as listed on the box:

White Pine Bark, Wild Cherry Bark, Spiknard, and Balm Gilead Buds.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem