Peened out embossing

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
I think there were a number of ways embossing was changed not just one method.

Hey Matt,

I'm sure you are correct. Now, all we gotta try and do is figure out some of the ways. Filling letter cavities with________ and welding. or perhaps brazing in some_______. Add a bit of artful peening, and voila...

There's a great picture of Earl R. Dean at his workbench at the Root Glass Co. in member JeffDean's site http://www.thecontourbottle.com/, in the "Historical Photos" section of his Gallery. Jeff's grandfather Earl stands at his workbench with a very interesting hammer in hand, before what appears to be a series of moulds arrayed behind him on the bench.

This is one of the reasons I believe that peening was part of the process, probably both in the cutting and modifying stages, but again, I'm unclear on the how-it-was-done part. Many years ago, I had some metalwork training and self teaching, but never in the realm of ferrous metals and moulds. I've seen some miraculous hammer work.

These guys, Pudsey Mould Co., would know how it is done now days, probably once upon a time, too. But would they tell...

pudseymoulds_mould_mod.jpg

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well all of you - I have a few minutes to get back into this. Cast iron molds that were used most early in the application of ordinary cast iron. ended up with an iron that had a Y shape of carbon formation of carbon in this round Y shape in the iron. These particles of carbon were sized by the pouring temperature of the melted iron. The iton was fairly soft in hardness. And the carbon form didn't really help getting a good cavity face well polished cavity on the molds surface. The mold iron had a tendency to form fire cracks along the match edges of the cavity form. The heat transfer in this type of cast iron was too fast for good bottle glass distribution when the parison wall was blown against the mold cavity face, causing the thick and thin glass that caused the so called whittle - which was actually "Cold Mold Ripple in the appearance of the finshed blown bottle.
Two men Sweeney and Matthews patented the process of casting their press mold castings against a solid cold cast iron form to create the dendritic carbon formed when the molten iron flow against the chill. These molds were all for press molded glass (cup plates and saucers) where the machined patterns didn't mold the glass with a smooth enough surface in the decoration v-shapped patterns. It took me 50 years to find out who, where, when and why they ever started chilling the mold iron and that doing that casting process created the dendritic iron on the cavity surface of the mold casting thus created.
The process was patented but it immediately spread around the world in mold castings for bottles, kerosene light chimneys and just about every glass product made in cast iron.

Type A graphite with the Y formation of carbon didn't peen as well as dendritic carbon (graphite); which gave it another gain in use dependency.

I have eight or ten chissels aand punches in my buddies mold makers tool box that were used to cut lettering and decorations and peening in bottle molds.

Wife just called me. gotta go. RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday