Pontil black glass !

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Cleaning the cork depends a little on where it has been kept. Obviously a slightly stiff paintbrush to remove the dry dust and earthy deposits. Some bluetak may remove some further detritus. But it depends very much what there is covering the cork. I can only suggest experimenting carefully with a damp slightly stiff paintbrush to see if that softens any hard soil, but when you are down to either traces of resin or wax, or esle the plain cork obviously you stop, let it dry out and then seal that cork and lip with something like PVA don in several coats to preserve the cork and moisture within.www.earlyglass.com Facebook group: Earlyglass for sale & show

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
ah sorry too late, lft this on my laptop overnight and can see now you have managed to clean it ok. Yes I would recommend now you seal it with some pva to keep the moisture in etc. Yes value as dw3000 says, and certainly more from the right market with contents. This could easily be double or more that if you find a wine enthusiast who fancies the idea of having a wine bottle with contents that old.Equally be aware some bottle collectors looking for one of these bottles might actually prefer to have one without the contents "so they can see how pretty the glass is" sort of thing...but I know which I'd prefer!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I like it the way it is. I have a lot of old bottles, but not one like that. When you say string lip are you implying applied glass - then the question is was it tooled? RED M.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Mitch, I think I used to call on a glass factory in Shreeveport, years ago. I have severall black glass bottles but not one like yours. If you sell it I probably couldn't afford it. I worked in the glass making world for over 37 years and collected glass for 77 years - and concentrated mainly on the mouth blown glass only. I even have an old iron blow pipe hanging on the wall here in my bottle den. I would like to know more about the tool mark you have referred to - because I don't know what kind of tool was used to make the mark - or what the reason was for making the mark with what ever they were trying to accomplish. Please show me more detail = or sketch it out. It could have come from the boy that carried it to the annealing furnace. I like the string finish - and don't have one like that. Was it string applied and tooled? I checked it out and your is a lot different than my 85 years. I will be checking a couple books on early glass today to see if I can find any reference to the bottle you have. Will get back to you if I find anything. It is a great hobby - but my only interest is is the hand made glass. It that study that I have done - I am guessing - I have collected nearly 2000 items so far. My better half thinks I am goofy. So that is OK too. RED Matthews E-mail <bottlemysteries@yahoo,com>

goodman1966

Reaction score
Hi Red, that was probably Libbey Glass here in Shreveport. As far as the tool mark, I think you may be right about some tool being used too carry it. Yes that is an applied string lip, very uneven. At this time it is not for sale, but you will be the first to know if it is. Mitch

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Thanks Mitch; I just saved some pictures of your bottle. I think they might have made that mark moving the glass to the annealing furnace. It is a neat old bottle - that is for sure. I have a lot of old glass, but my main interest has always been the hand blown glass. My collecting started with a 1/2 pint milk bottle from a curious visit to a neighbors farm where he had about twenty cows. He wondered who I was - and I told hem. I also told him about how I couldn't learn how to milk a cow, and he showed me through his barn and dairy operations. I never did learn how to milk a cow, because if I had learned - my Dad would have had me doing it to two cows - twice a day. I was too smart to learn how! Thanks for your reply.RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Mitch, I liked the off center pontil mark also. It was a neat round tipped tool, and I don't think I have a pontil mark like that on any other bottle. Haste put the pontil on the job. RED M.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown