pottery and bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

Your variant of the Dr. Wilson's Herbine Bitters is listed in Ring-Ham as EXTREMELY RARE. Fantastic find! ! ! Congratulations.
While I'm sure what Jim says is right on I don't think that the book is up to date as they can be found on Ebay fairly readily in the last few years in the $8-25 range

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

ORIGINAL: botlguy

Your variant of the Dr. Wilson's Herbine Bitters is listed in Ring-Ham as EXTREMELY RARE. Fantastic find! ! ! Congratulations.
While I'm sure what Jim says is right on I don't think that the book is up to date as they can be found on Ebay fairly readily in the last few years in the $8-25 range
I am astounded that they can be had for that price. I just checked the W - H Supplement and it is not listed in the pricing section and there is no indication of that sort of commonality. Old dogs can learn new tricks still. Thanks for that enlightenment. I might have paid a bundle for one as an investment had I run across one.

Asterx

Reaction score
Great finds! [:)]. I would think its pretty unlikely to pull as many whole stoneware pieces from a dump/privy as you have. I particularly like the brown glazed pot. That teapot looking piece is interesting, is that glaze that forms the patterning? Would love to see a close up of that when you post more pictures. Nice work, I'd be very excited about finding that collection!

LC

Reaction score
The Misses and myself collected pottery for years , mostly Hull , Roseville and a small amout of Rookwood , But I am not familiar with any of the pottery posted here .

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

Happy to help Jim
Jim, I should have asked if the examples you found on eBay were this exact variant. There are 3 others that are listed as SCARCE which may make siome difference. R - H lists this variant as W 122.2, indicating a late discovery, and the others as W 123, 124 & 125. This one has :" BRAYLEY SONS & CO." embossed which is part of the difference and 2 of the others are embossed with St. John, N. B., rather than Montreal, indicating later bottles.

Just curious if that could make a difference at all and wanting to get things straight for Dennis.

epackage

Reaction score
I'm seeing this example with Montreal and Brayley selling in the $5-25 range in past Ebay sales...

epackage

Reaction score
I'm also seeing the St. John version in the $20-25 range....

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Speaking as a collector of Canadian medicine bottles, I have to say that Jim's got it right about the Brayley's. With one exception, all variants of these bottles are not that rare up here in Canada. The exception being fully labelled versions that come in their original paper wrappers. Took me 32 years to finally get such a specimen. All the same, these bottles are pretty cool, most especially when you consider their deceiving shape -- a design with a pronounced sunken panel that allows the bottle to appear large, yet contain a modest quantity of bitters.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26