Real or fake? Sunburst flask in bright apple green

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

amblypygi

Reaction score
Unfortunately you can forget about emailing the high bidder. Ebay has tweaked things so that you can't do that anymore, supposedly in order to "protect us". I too was surprised to see this auction put up by Bitters-and-ink, who I didn't think was a sleazebag. I just sent him this question:

I know you are aware that this is a 1920s Spanish repro. Show us that you are the stand-up kind of dealer we all thought you were and have the decency to say so in your description. A lot of people are pissed about this sleazy auction.

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
There's ways to find out who the buyer is. The bidder information isn't private after feedback is left. One the buyer leaves feedback, or the seller even, you can see who the buyer is and contact them.

Just Dig it

Reaction score
The fake ones sun burst does not come out its almost flat to the bottle the real ones...is more raised
..just what my eye caught
When all is said and done this post would be great for the reproduction bottles and jars category..might help someone out

Eric

BTMAMERICANGLASS

Reaction score
Do any of you slam a seller that lists a clevenger EG BOOZ without noting its clevenger? Or a Jenny Lind Calabash, or an Albany glassworks flask, or a washnigton taylor, probably not since eBay is litered with them. This sunburst is what it is.. Its a 20's reproduction of a sunburst flask and alot harder to find than any of the listed items above... Do you think that Maybe its possible that these bidders like it for what it is? While its not 200 yrs old, Its every bit as old as some of the Sodas and Milks that bring way too much money, and for the money its a HELL of alot prettier!

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I can only dream of spending $400 on a misrepresented (it's not antique) pretty bottle.
Maybe that's something I will do when I win the Powerball tonight.

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Do any of you slam a seller that lists a clevenger EG BOOZ without noting its clevenger? Or a Jenny Lind Calabash, or an Albany glassworks flask, or a washnigton taylor, probably not since eBay is litered with them. This sunburst is what it is.. Its a 20's reproduction of a sunburst flask and alot harder to find than any of the listed items above... Do you think that Maybe its possible that these bidders like it for what it is?

I suppose anythings possible, but I doubt it. It's still shady marketing when all the facts are not disclosed. It's not in the reproduction category. It was specifically and intentionally put in a category that implies that it's original. The seller knows the age, origin, and the fact that it's a reproduction, but never says it. I'm sure this guys received plenty of messages about this particular piece, but wont disclose them because it would hurt the sale. Clearly unprofessional!!!

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: BTMAMERICANGLASS

Do any of you slam a seller that lists a clevenger EG BOOZ without noting its clevenger? Or a Jenny Lind Calabash, or an Albany glassworks flask, or a washnigton taylor, probably not since eBay is litered with them. This sunburst is what it is.. Its a 20's reproduction of a sunburst flask and alot harder to find than any of the listed items above... Do you think that Maybe its possible that these bidders like it for what it is? While its not 200 yrs old, Its every bit as old as some of the Sodas and Milks that bring way too much money, and for the money its a HELL of alot prettier!
That being said, why isn't the seller selling it that way, then. The others are commented on from time to time. I hope the bidders are aware of what it is.

cc6pack

Reaction score
BT

Every time a sleaze ball seller, whether it's ebay, at a show, shop, etc. sell a fake and knowing it hurts the hobby. More than likely the bidders are fairly new to the hobby, a bunch scenarios come to mind that an inexperienced glass person may bid on an item. Should they be taken advantage of?

On line auctions are different from other forms of selling where you can examine the item, the seller need to be held to a higher degree of culpability. Thats my rant for the day.[:mad:]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
As far as it being listed in the wrong catagory, I dont consider that a big deal. FleaBay catagories are a joke everyone knows that. People list stuff whereever they feel it will get the best visibilty. And Fleabay makes little (if any) effort to police bottle categories. They have too many other serious problems to deal with.
The problem appears to be that it IS listed in before 1900 AND the auction doesnt identify it as a 20th century repro bottle.
In my opinion a buyer willing to lay out a lot of money has a responsibility to know what they are buying especially on Fleabay where you arent paying a premium for a good auction company's authentication and assurance.
The seller also has a responsibility to properly describe the item. I have bought several nice items off this seller and know they are legitimate sellers and collectors. I expect more from them than the random seller selling a bottle here and there. I would normally be willing to bid higher on thier auctions assuming I can trust them. Its seems it would be in thier interest to make thier auction descriptions as transparent as possible, but its thier listing and they have to decide how to manage it.
I have no idea what that bottle is worth. I hope the seller gets the best price they can on it.
Just an opinion for what its worth.

Just Dig it

Reaction score
I dont consider that a big deal. FleaBay catagories are a joke everyone knows that. People list stuff whereever they feel it will get the best visibilty. And Fleabay makes little (if any) effort to police bottle categories. They have too many other serious problems to deal with.
The problem appears to be that it IS listed in before 1900 AND the auction doesnt identify it as a 20th century repro bottle.
In my opinion a buyer willing to lay out a lot of money has a responsibility to know what they are buying especially on Fleabay where you arent paying a premium for a good auction company's authentication and assurance.
The seller also has a responsibility to properly describe

I Agree You should know what your buying..but if it was an inexperienced collector..it could discourage them from wanting to get further into collecting..and steal from them the love of glass itself..the world isnt fair..and your gonna get ripped..There just isnt anything we can do

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen