Sad Day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

norflo2norcal

Reaction score
On Friday I was told by a chiropractor that I have osteoporosis and a degenerating spine. I'm only 32. I was instructed to take it easy for a couple weeks while I am getting adjusted due to a dislocated rib that's been causing me a lot of pain, particularly when I'm metal detecting and digging, or kayaking/canoeing for bottles along the shore. Well, Saturday I said "forget taking it easy", and went kayaking for bottles. My pain when lifting myself in and out of the kayak was worse than ever, and I had my first realization that I may not be able to pursue bottles like I have been. Despite my pain, I did manage some digging on a nice sandy beach along the river where Beryl recently eroded some shoreline. My "best" finds were all broken.

bottles069.jpg

I was really bummed to find the broken torpedo because I don't have one of these in my collection yet. I think I need to go out and get me some good karma. [&:]

Conch times

Reaction score
Hello Gabrielle, I'm sorry to here of your medical issues buddy but I can't help but to agree with your disition to go hunting for bottles. I don't know anything about osteoporosis, will it harm you further to keep digging or is it better to stay active? Either way good luck with your fight and I hope you find that whole torpedo soon!

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Looks to me like you've found the right area! Sorry to hear about your health issues, but maybe other people can assist you in continuing your collecting.

norflo2norcal

Reaction score
The doctor says I should definitely be exercising, but they suggested lifting small weights, walking, or running. Anything that aggravates my condition is out. Paddling the kayak doesn't bother me at all, and is probably good for building my back muscles, but getting in and out of the boat is excruciating. Really sucks! [:mad:]

I was really stoked to find the torpedo, even though it was broken and I was bummed out at the same time. It makes me hopeful that I might find good stuff in this area in the future, whenever I can get out again. I was also surprised to find the broken insulator along the shore. Seemed like a weird find for the area. Wish it had been whole, too! I think I'm going to go to the pound and rescue a dog so I can build up karma points for my other adventures. I've been wanting a dog anyways. [;)]

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Hey, Bree... When I lived out there my neighbors had found a place on the island that was producing about 10 Saratoga bottles each time they went. Problem is they never told me where it was. The age of your finds might be close to what they were finding, so you might have found a lead to a great area.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
I like chiropractors........then they are so full of crap.

Their favorite thing to say is "Come back for more adjusments", that translates to "Bring me your money.........all of it."

Now he's telling you that you have osteoporosis and other problems. Did he give you a 'bone density test'? Recommend an orthopedic dr.? No?

Give it a little while and you'll get better........trust me.

Now I have a chiropractor myself. I go see him maybe every two or three years. I let him know if it takes more than two trips to his office, maybe I need to see a surgeon. For some reason I'm always fixed in one or two trips......always.

X-rays. I ask him, "If ya got to take an x-ray to see what's wrong, how ya gonna know if I'm fixed without having another x-ray?". That saves me the cost of x-rays.

Tried to get my son to go to chiro school...........easiest money in the world.

norflo2norcal

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Osia. I actually work at a GYN office that does bone densities, so the first thing I plan to do tomorrow is schedule myself for one so I can verify what they are telling me. From my x-rays, the chiro I saw last week says she can see bone loss, and that the curve of my spine is more prominent than in other people, which I have known for years. She was also able to show me that my vertebrae on the inner curve of my spine are touching each other, and she thinks over time I will have bone spurs. For now my most immediate problem is the dislocating rib, due to the pain involved when it pops out. I have another chiro appointment tomorrow, so I plan to ask more questions. I don't intend to receive adjustments every week for the rest of my life. At least I hope I don't need to....

Mike - I am hoping this spot will continue to produce for me. I'm excited for what I may find next time!! The water levels here are still quite high, and low tide offers only a small window to work the spot.

druggistnut

Reaction score
I agree. I have NEVER been to a Chiro. My Dad was an Osteopath and my Grandfather was an MD. They explained to me the above mentioned "practices" of the Chiro's.
Good luck- you're way too young to have these problems. What did you do for a living?
Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229