Schmidt Coke Museum Auction

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
A couple of things ...

1. Unless there are objections, I'd like to keep the contest here. This is where all of the current "buzz" is about the auction, and I would not want to take away from that.

2. I said earlier I was going to bid on the items, but have decided against it because they request a lot of information, including a credit card number that I would prefer not to give out since I'm really not a serious bidder anyway.

3. Starting here and on the following two pages I am posting pictures of the items. Eventually the auction pictures may self delete or require searching to find. So by posting them here we will have a record of them for all time.

SPBOB

[ Coca Cola 1915 Prototype Contour Bottle ]

D4604E3A43EA4F739DDD031880D684E5.jpg

Attachments

• D4604E3A43EA4F739DDD031880D684E5.jpg
    D4604E3A43EA4F739DDD031880D684E5.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 85

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
[ Coca Cola 1915 Prototype Bottle ~ Base ]

A3F17B7AD1F14ADBB994580314CB8988.jpg

Attachments

• A3F17B7AD1F14ADBB994580314CB8988.jpg
    A3F17B7AD1F14ADBB994580314CB8988.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 68

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
[ Coca Cola 1915 Prototype Bottle ~ Concept Sketch ]

D966FACB3CF94E6596EE0CB92C7CDF10.jpg

Attachments

• D966FACB3CF94E6596EE0CB92C7CDF10.jpg
    D966FACB3CF94E6596EE0CB92C7CDF10.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 70

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
JeffDean ~

I am addressing the following questions to you under the "assumption" you are in some way directly connected to either the auction items themselves or else the family. If I am wrong in this assumption, please accept my apologies for being a dumb-head. But if you are in fact connected, perhaps you would be so kind as to answer a few questions for us.

But first ... In the event you do respond, I'd like to recommend the following to make it easier for you. Please notice where I have placed an "A" below each question. The "A" is for "Answer," and where you can insert your replies. All you have to do is either click on the "Quote" option at the top right of this page, or else just copy/paste the questions to a new "post reply" page. Once you have the questions in front of you, all you have to do then is simply type in your answers. I realize there is at least one good book on this subject, and possibly others, but I doubt that most of us have them.

Q: Are you directly involved with the auction? And are the items yours or a family members?

A:

Q: I noticed your first post on this forum was back on September 22, 2011. How did it occur that you found this topic of discussion, causing you to comment?

A:

Q: Do you know which Glass Factory the prototype bottles were made in?

A:

Q: What can you tell us about the original molds? Were they destroyed or are they still "out there somewhere?"

A:

Q: How many actual prototypes were made?

A:

Q: Can you recommend a good website that discusses the above questions and possibly "the rest of the story?"

A:

Q: Can you tell us why it was decided to sell the items now, after so many years?

A:

I just hope you are related to the Dean family, and that my questions are not being addressed to the wrong individual. If so, my apologies again. And if this is the case, perhaps someone else knows the answers above and can fill in the blanks.

Thanks a lot.

SPBOB

JeffDean

Reaction score
Q: Are you directly involved with the auction? And are the items yours or a family members?

A: Yes. Yes, the bottle and drawing belong to me and my two brothers.

Q: I noticed your first post on this forum was back on September 22, 2011. How did it occur that you found this topic of discussion, causing you to comment?

A: I believe my brother, Greg had been googling keywords such as 1915 prototype bottle...etc., and came across this blog.

Q: Do you know which Glass Factory the prototype bottles were made in?

A: That would be the Root Glass Company of Terre Haute, Indiana.

Q: What can you tell us about the original molds? Were they destroyed or are they still "out there somewhere?"

A: The million dollar question...lol. I would love to know the answer to that myself. I do know that the first bottles where made on a bottle mold machine called the "Johnny Bull" machine.

Q: How many actual prototypes were made?

A: If I recall, it wasn't more than about a dozen or so. It is believed that all were destroyed but two. My grandfather had stored them away in his locker. A few years later, he had come across them and took one of them to his boss, Chapman J. Root, and asked if he could keep the other. Of course as we know, the answer was yes.

Q: Can you recommend a good website that discusses the above questions and possibly "the rest of the story?"

A: Yes, you can go to my website, www.TheContourBottle.com . There you can also find audio recordings of my grandfather recounting the hours leading up to the first prototypes. Also, you'll find a recording of him talking about Alexander Samuelson, the man who is often mistaken for the bottle's designer.

Q: Can you tell us why it was decided to sell the items now, after so many years?

A: Actually, it was decided many years ago by my father. I had been pushing him to sell them while he was still in good health. Long story short, his health has put him in assisted living, and since then, he has handed down the artifacts to us. So, here we are making our attempt to sell them, and I believe it's finally going to happen : )

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jeff ~

Thank you so much for participating in my little "interview." That was really decent of you. I'm just glad my assumptions were correct and you are the right guy. I was worried about that ever since I posted my questions. I haven't looked at your website yet, but will first thing in the morning. I'm sure it will be everything I hope it to be. I anticipate you will get some nice comments from other members once they see it.

I hope your bottle and drawing sell for a million dollars. In my opinion, that's what they are worth. Heck, if I lived in your part of the country, I'd glady pay you $100.00 just to hold the bottle for a few minutes. It is truly the "Holy Grail" of all soda bottles.

I can relate to your father's situation, because I take care of my 89 year old father who lives with me. It may occur for him to go into a home soon, and the one we are looking at cost about $6,000.00 per month for the level of care he will need. I just hope I don't have to sell my home in the process. Right now we are doing all we can to prevent that.

Your family heritage is one to be proud of, and I wish you and yours all the good fortune the world has to offer.

Thanks again for answering my questions. In a way it is a little bit of history now unto itself. And if I ever stumble onto one of the original molds, I'll let you have if for free!

Take care and good luck to both you and your brother with the auction.

Bob Brown
San Diego, California.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jeff ~

I couldn't wait until tomorrow morning. I just checked out your website and even ordered a copy of the book. I can't wait until it arrives! The only thing I couldn't find on the site was your grandfather's sound recording. I will take another look tomorrow, but at the moment it escapes me.

Thanks again.

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jeff ~

If I understand the following from your website, it indicates the sound recording of your grandfather comes with the book and is not on the site itself. So I guess I will just have to wait until my copy of your father's book arrives to hear it. I thought it was interesting where it said the books are not printed until they are ordered. Which is cool and means my copy will be hot off the press. If your family is directly involved with the book orders, and it is not too much to ask, would it be possible to have your father autograph my copy of the book? I would be willing to pay extra for the courtesy. If not, I understand.

Thanks.

Bob

[ Snippet from website ]

Backed with data, recordings, and invaluable information Dean gathered throughout his research, The Man Behind The Bottle is a chronological account of how the most famous package of all time came to be, who the creative mind behind it really was, how Earl R. Dean was ultimately discovered, and the impact his bottle has made around the world.

[ Here's one of my favorite Coke bottle pictures - The Beatles - Early 1960s ]

928C4BFEB7F64FB1AE6AD9A5FEDCEA8F.jpg

Attachments

• 928C4BFEB7F64FB1AE6AD9A5FEDCEA8F.jpg
    928C4BFEB7F64FB1AE6AD9A5FEDCEA8F.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 69

Uncle_Jarvis

Reaction score
SP BOB

the audio section is on the main page lower tab between "Video" and "Fokelore"

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
UJ ~

Thanks. I found the audio and a bunch of other stuff I missed before. But for some weird reason it was "off-screen" until I changed my zoom feature by reducing it from 100% to 75%. It's totally visible now! [:D]

Bob

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles