Schmidt Coke Museum Auction

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JeffDean

Reaction score
SP BOB ~ Uncle Jarvis is correct, at the bottom of the home page, you will see an "Audio" link. The audio does not come with the book. Please let me know it there is anything misleading on the site that leads you to believe this.

As for your copy of the book getting signed by my dad, the author...It would be my pleasure. I've done it for others, in fact I had my dad sign about a dozen books for Chapman J. Root's great grandson, John Root. He wanted to give out the signed books as Christmas presents to selected family members. I'll set something up so that we can get this done for you. I'll be back in touch with you soon on this.

Also, thank you for the kind words in your response to the answers I gave to your questions. I noticed that you live about three hours away from me. If you're ever in the Los Angeles area, let me know. It would be nice to meet you in person.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jeff ~

Wow! Now I really can't wait until the book arrives! It said it could take several weeks to print and ship, which is fine, but in the meantime I think I'll pitch my pup tent out by the mailbox so I can be there to receive it the minute it comes.

If you click back to my last post with the Beatle picture, you will see where I located the bar at the bottom of your website that has the audio option, but that I had to reduce my screen image to 75% in order to see it. Which is no big deal and it works fine now. But others may have to do the same thing, so they should keep this in mind when they open the link.

Also, if you go back to my last post you will see where I copy/pasted a paragraph from the site. It's the wording about the audio recording that lead me to think it came with the book. But again, no big deal as I understand it's true meaning now in that the recording is on the site itself and not the book. By the way, I enjoyed your father's words a great deal, and especially like his manner of speaking that reminds me of the way my own father talks ... simple and to the point.

I may take you up on your invitation one of these days and visit with you in Los Angeles. I don't get up that way often, but sometime next summer I may be going on a bottle hunting trip into the mountains near there where a guy I know said there are "hundreds" of old bottles just laying around on the ground at an old mining site he found. He said the site is untouched and we will have to walk several miles and cut brush just to get to it. He also said the more people who go the merrier, because he would like to haul out as many of the bottles as he can this next time so he won't have to go back again in the future. If you are interested in such expeditions, I am sure you would be more than welcome to join in. No detailed arrangements have been made yet, so there is plenty of time if your are interested.

Thanks again for everything. This gets more exciting by the minute! I just wish I was a millionaire, as I'm sure that's what it will require to win your bottle.

Bob

P.S. ~ I just now got an e-mail confirmation from "Xlibris" regarding my book order. I can't wait!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Correction / Update ...

I said earlier that the auction for the "Action Comics No.1" opened on November 14th. That was a typo of mine. The auction actually opened today, November 11th, and closes on November 30th. I am providing the link again for those who wish to follow it. The current bid is at $102,000.00! I hope the Coca Cola prototype items experience similar dollar amounts!

SPB

Action Comics No.1 Link: http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=432101

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

In case I didn't make it clear earlier, the only reason I include the "Action Comics" No.1 information in connection with this thread, is because I honestly believe the Coca Cola prototype items are just as rare and just as valuable as the comic book. Plus, I'd like to help boost interest in the prototypes and do all I can to see they hit the million dollar mark ... and possibly even more. But I suppose only time will tell if the prototypes are as valuable as I believe they are. Another way to look at this is to think of it as ...

"Superman vs Coca Cola"

[:D]

SPB

SupermanPrototypeBob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
By the way ...

The 9.0 Action Comics No.1 just hit $900,000.00 ... and climbing by the minute!

JeffDean

Reaction score
SP Bob - So happy to hear that you enjoyed my Grandfather's recording. Did you get a chance to hear the recording where he talks about Alexander Samuelson? I found it kind of humorous to learn that Samuelson got his name on other patents of inventions that he did not actually invent.

I'm also happy to hear your enthusiasm about receiving and reading my father's book. I'm sure you will enjoy and apprecieate the mid-western feel of my father's writing which I'm sure you'll pick up on as you read it.

As for your misunderstanding about the audio coming with my father's book, it appears that the excerpt which you had copy/pasted on an earlier post came from the "book site", not the www.thecontourbottle.com site. I was more concerned that I had something misleading on my site. Glad we cleared that up.

2ECA29AD55A145F1911C59D6BAF65D9C.jpg

Attachments

• 2ECA29AD55A145F1911C59D6BAF65D9C.jpg
    2ECA29AD55A145F1911C59D6BAF65D9C.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 83

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jeff ~

Yes, I read and listened to everything I could find on your website. I am really looking forward to receiving the book as it will be the frosting on the cake! That Samuelson guy sounds like a shyster. In fact, isn't "shyster" Scandinavian/Swedish? (Lol). [:D]

That superimposed picture of the prototype drawing and bottle is incredible! Did you do that yourself?

If you are into such rigorous adventures, the invitation still stands for you, and your brothers, to join in on the bottle hunting expedition late this next spring or early summer. The guy is supposed to give me at least 30 days advanced notice. All I know at present is that it is located "somewhere" in the Los Angeles area.

I got to fantasizing ...

And if your prototype bottle and the Superman comic were both sitting on a table in front of me, and both were priced exactly the same at one-million-dollars, and I only had that exact amount to spend, I would definitely buy the bottle! Why? Answer: "More Magic" for my buck!

Bob

JeffDean

Reaction score
SP Bob - I believe "shyster" is german, a derivitive of their "Scheisser". My persnel take on Alexander Samuelson, is that he never his intention to take the credit for my grandfathers bottle design, nor did he try to steal credit for any inventions where you would find his name on its associated patent. I just think he fell victim to sloppy logistics of his day. Of coarse I use "victim" loosely, as I believe my grandfather was actually the victim in this case. Back then, it was quite common for a patent to name someone other than the actual inventor.

Yes, let me know when this bottle hunting expedition takes place. I would be interested in joining in on the fun, thank you.

Thank you, and yes, the above sketch/bottle morph is my creation.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jeff ~

I didn't intend any disrespect toward Samuelson, but rather that he should have volunteered to come forward and set the record straight years ago when the patent was registered in his name. Surely he and numerous others knew the truth at the time, and that it was your grandfather who designed it. But, like you said, things were different back then and they could not have foreseen the impact the bottle and drawing would have on future events. I'm just glad your father wrote the book and set the record straight.

Speaking of the book ... I have a million questions for you that I'm sure the book will be able to answer. But in the meantime until it arrives, perhaps you could answer the following for me ...

1. If the prototype bottle had been accepted in it's original form, was it intended to have a specific city and state on the first ones to be produced? If so, which city and state might that have been?

2. Which city and state were on the first "revised designs," and eventually mass produced bottles?

I don't want to assume the first mass produced bottles were from Terre Haute, Indiana just because the prototypes were made there at the Root Glass factory.

I will keep you posted on the developments regarding the bottle expedition. But it may be several months before I hear something myself.

Thanks again.

Bob

[ Here's my second favorite picture of a Coke bottle ] [ For most of us it needs no introduction ]

78251D3E835D483AB71AF99E4B231F7E.jpg

Attachments

• 78251D3E835D483AB71AF99E4B231F7E.jpg
    78251D3E835D483AB71AF99E4B231F7E.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 88

JeffDean

Reaction score
SP Bob -

I believe you hit the nail on the head when you said, "...they could not have foreseen the impact the bottle and drawing would have on future events." I'm convinced that Samuelson passed away before he could ever come to the realization or awareness of the impact that the contour bottle was going to have.

As for your questions, I'm sorry to say that I don't have the answers. I don't recall that my father's book addresses them either. I can refer you to a book that would likely have your answers though. The book is called, "The Coca-Cola Bottle" by Doug McCoy. For more info, click on this link: http://www.yourbook.com/BookInfo/IP31179-09.asp

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter