Small green basket weave bottle from New Hampshire

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I am not sure what Chris means by an "essence bottle." This little bottle could easily be a cologne bottle.

Don't forget the popular mini-demijohn figural with the embossed wicker, including handles. IIRC, the bottle (B. below) is attributed to Sandwich, and described as "a cologne bottle."

The little bottles below are some cologne bottles from the mid-to-late 1800s. Bottle A. has a smooth base, bottles B. and C. have pontil scars.

Bottle C. has a paper label which says (in French) HUILE ANTIQUE / A LA VANILLA. It has an image of a vanilla branch (I assume) in flower ( = ANCIENT OIL OF VANILLA). Vanilla was used as a cologne. Cooking vanilla is water soluble, not an oil.

If you wish to trade or sell this little cologne, Jim, let me know.
-----------Harry Pristis

Kh17821.jpg

Attachments

• Kh17821.jpg
    Kh17821.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 49

IRISH

Reaction score
Harry, essence as in vanilla essence etc. it's a term used over here in Oz for all small round bottles of the shape of the one above that aren't purfumes [;)] . Isn't a cologne bottle still a purfume bottle? (sort of [:D] ).

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Thanks, Irish, for your attempt to clarify the semantical confusion.

First of all, none of the bottles pictured in this thread are "small round bottles." Does this mean that they cannot be "essence" bottles?

The common essence bottle I am familiar with, several brands of "Essence of Jamaica Ginger," are rectangular (or oval). This essence was used as medicine for its carminative properties.

I have never heard of "essence of vanilla." What I am familiar with here in the USA to describe a concentrated vanilla product is "extract of vanilla." Lemon extract is another common food bottle. In fact, I am accustomed to hearing all these little (usually rectangular) food-flavoring bottles called "extract bottles." It may be that "essence bottle" in Australia is equivalent to "extract bottle" in the USA.

I would venture to say that a cologne bottle is not a perfume bottle, unless you think all stinky, alcohol-based products are perfume. A dribble of Fosters on your chin is not perfume. ;^)

Perfume is expensive, so it tends to come in smaller, more ornate bottles sometimes with ground-glass stoppers and/or a glass rod applicator. Not the rule, just the tendency.

------------Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Armbrustschuetzenzelt

LOL Why don't you just make up your own batch of this perfume for Christmas giving, Roger! And you could do a kidney-osmosis treatment of the Foster's before adding it to the mixture.

The Babel Fish translation of "Armbrustschuetzenzelt" is "Arm chest contactor tent" which sounds to me like an "underarm perspiration shield." This stuff must be potent with pheromones!

I hope you'll post a pic of the bottle it comes in!

------------Harry Pristis ;^)

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Taz-
What a beautiful bottle. It is small enough to fit into any collection. [:)]

Roger-
BTW there is a perfume called Armbrustschuetzenzelt in Germany which smells of rancid beer and cigarette butts. Thought I might get some for the wife this Christmas....
Now my wife is German, but if I would buy her some of that for Christmas (Don't count on it), well there is probably one thing she could count on; Next year's Christmas present would be much better than the previous.

Harry-
I always thought that perfume was a woman's product or scent used, and cologne was a man's (after shave, scent, deodorant, etc.). Also, before you posted your pics I had the same bottle (basket weave small demijohn) in mind. I didn't have a photo. I see them on eBay occasionally, and I'd love to have one.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hi, Meech . . .

I believe that men and women wear cologne, but by convention men don't wear perfume.

All the prominent perfume-makers AFAIK make a cologne to match a perfume for women.

But there must be women reading this thread -- how about setting us straight on this perfume/cologne idea, ladies. Thanks!

----------Harry Pristis

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hey folks, I was lucky enough to come up with this new bottle today! Maybe this one could bottle the "Armbrustschuetzenzelt" lol[:'(] Todays bottle is smaller and clear! Just right for concentrated cologne! This one measures 45mm X 40mm X 18mm... Taz

WSP

Reaction score
these came in small glass holders with glass handle, 2 bottles per holder. the holder has the same pattern. I have a set of these. I also have a set of salt shakers in the same holder. They have screw tops instead of cork tops.Both mold blown. The shakers are in the Sandwich Book & Lechners Salt shaker book. I'll see if I can find more info later.-Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1