Sniper bidding

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
I have been skunked on various auctions (including auction houses) by sniper bidding. I hate when it happens (who does).
However, I understand why bidders use it. If your away from your computer, you can still bid on an auction.
I am not against it or for it. Sure, I could use it as well. I guess you could sniper the sniper.
Personally as I said before I hate it.
How do you fellow members feel about this bidding tool (sniper bidding?)
SCPC

Bixel

Reaction score
I didn't use to agree with it, but I think that it is just the way auctions online have gone. If you are at a live auction, tactics are far different. Once computers, technology, etc are involved, auctions take on a different look and feel to them. I think its something you cant stop, and for the seller, it can mean a last minute payday sometimes.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Never used it, never had it used against me. Seems like a good idea, all though I'd be frustrated if I lost to someone using it.

carobran

Reaction score
ok,you might think im stupid for asking this................but what is sniper bidding??[8|]

glass man

Reaction score
CAR DUDE: it is where you wait till almost the last second to put in a bid on something and hopefully it will be higher then the other person has bidded and also the other person will not have time to bid against you again.JAMIE

carobran

Reaction score
ohhh,the way they were talking i thought i didnt know what they were talkng about.................doesnt everybody sniper bid??[8|][8|]...........i do[8|]

tigue710

Reaction score
The only times I don't snipe is to test the water. I've had way to many idiots bid something to the sky just to beat a bid... Competitive bidding always makes the price higher then it needs to be I think.

Basically I look at it like this, I want a bottle currently at 100, I want it ideally for 10 bucks, ;), but I'll spend 150, even though it's worth 130. If I bid 150 3 days before the auction ends some dummy who can't wait for the next one and will bid whatever just to get it will out bid me and buy it for 160, now I have to spend 170 or wait like the dummy should have.... Now if I snipe it for 130 1 second before the auction ends I'll get it for 105,
(assuming for the sake of this explanation no one else bids). Although even if someone else bids I'll probably still get it for 120 or they'll get it for 135...

It's so much nicer then having some dummy place 20 2 dollar increment bids to outbid you for something!

cookie

Reaction score
I used to get frustrated by sniper bidding but I've just changed my approach...I pick out a price I'm comfortable at and I hope it works out...you never know who's bidding against you and if any funny business is going on....

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
I briefly looked at a couple of websites that offer sniper bidding.
Its a software that you use on an auction that you want to win.
An example would be that you tell the software that at the last second or two of the auction that you will automatically bid a dollar or whatever amount you tell it bid higher than the last bid. Its automatic and in less you have outbid their highest bid you will never beat them.
If you just bid your highest amount for the item and are satisfied with your bid, then its not really a problem for you as a bidder.
It bothers me when I lose an auction for a $1.00 more than my highest bid. It just means that I never had a chance at winning that auction.
I agree that what I bid is the price that I am willing to pay for the item. However, its really gets old when auction after auction you lose by a dollar.
Ebay encourages the use of this software (no surprise there) As far the auction houses , I don't know if its used by bidders.
There is the chance that if you tell the software to bid an amount higher than the the highest bid, you could end up paying a lot for the auction. However, bidders usually enter a price range and a maximum amount to bid on the auction.
Yes, this the age of the online shopping world as we know it. Its good and bad. Personally, I liked things before all this computer stuff.
SCPC

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Its sort of like the nuclear arms race.
No one likes to do it but if you want to be a serious collector you need to do it.

I dont do it.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen