Some good diggin

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

welddigger

Reaction score
hey! that weather vane is cool is it in good shape or all beat to crap[:'(]i can't tell by the pics i got some mostly animals none with news on them i might be interested in that if you don't want it and the shape is not to bad[8|] nice finds what is that car acandy or maybe an ink looks cool!!!!

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hey Bram -

Nice digs! I was looking at the two ME amber meds. The first looks like a Dennett's from Saco and the other I haven't seen before, looks like Sullivan from Lewiston. I've got two Sullivans listed in my upcoming ME med book, is it B. D.or M. B. Sullivan? M. B. is from the 1870s, B. D. is from 1890-1910. Keep on scratching!

-Sam

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Hi Weld - the weather vane is pretty cool. It is made from really soft metal like pewter or something, so it bends all over the place. It's pretty beat up, and is missing the W. I figure I'll use it on something someday

Sam - You sure know your Maine meds. That one is a Dennets, and the Lewiston one is B.D. Sullivan. It's a flared lip, so I thought it was older than 1900, but maybe not.

I dug a nice Whipples Sarsaparilla from Portland a last fall. Also, have you ever heard of a pontilled bottle, like a Townsends Sarsaparilla mold, almost clear ( faded aqua ), embossed Dr. Stockers Sarsaparilla? I dug it in S. Berwick, it is one of my very best digs. I've been told there is only one other known. Someone thought it might be a local bottle from Berwick. Any idea?

And Wayne - Mr. " maybe I can learn to dig someday" ha!
I watched this guy dig a foundation dump in York that was one of the best dumps I've ever seen. Amber N. Wood ring a bell? Man that was a hell of dump!
Get anything good under water lately? I know you've been working on the house lately, but always remember your priorities , Bottles, bottles bottles ( just kidding )
Bram

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi Bram -

I did a search for Stockers on my ME druggists/med manufacturers database but found no listing. My research is from 1865-1920, after the pontils but I figured he might have been around later as well.

Can you provide a pic or some details on the Whipple's sarsaparilla - I've not seen one of those before.

Thanks - Sam

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
John DeGrafft's "American Sarsaparilla" book list it as rare.

Embossed all on front:
WHIPPLE'S/SARSAPARILLA/PORTLAND, ME

Color Aqua
Base Plain
Shape Rectangular
(three indented panels)
Mouth single collar with lower flared band
measures
9 1/8 X 2 7/8 X 1 3/4

Rare

Cliff

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Hi Sam and Cliff,
I'll try to post pics of those 2 bottles, but my disc has been acting funky so I dont know if they will upload
First one should be the Dr. Stockers / Sarsaparilla. It is pontilled, and is the same mold and size as a Townsends Sarsaparilla. It is essentially clear ( barely faded aqua).

Db84358.jpg

Attachments

• Db84358.jpg
    Db84358.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 63

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Like I said, that Dr. Stockers was dug in Berwick Maine.

This one should be the Whipples Sarsaparilla, Portland Me.

It is a little taller and thinner than a Hoods Sarsaparilla

Let me know if you find anything on where the Dr. Stockers is from. thanks!
Bram

ps Dug a larger size Dr. Dennets amber drug yesterday :)

Ax72900.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday