Spring water jug from Pewaukee Wisconsin

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

luckiest

Reaction score
Could the bands be an early attempt to repair the crack? (Ican't see the crack in any of your photos) I like it as is, that's a pretty manly repair job if that's what it is!

LC

Reaction score
That is one of the coolest crocks I have seen , never seen a crock with springs on it .

coreya

Reaction score
Might be an early attempt to have a buffer between jugs to keep them from busting when banged against one another? Really neat regardless.

mrbottles

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas.

If they had the metal red hot that is the only way it could have been made to fit so snug. It just seems unlikely that the jug would survive that.

Yes, I only had really poor pictures from a phone when I went to buy and I just figured it had to be a major demerit to the piece but it really is cool. It must have been to repair for use at the time when it was in service. There is no way anyone would do that otherwise. The crack is a hairline but substantial. It looks like they must have valued the jug enough to try to save it. One friend speculated that the repair was probably a lot cheaper than a new jug. Once the crack was stabilized with the rings they must have used pitch or something to seal the crack or it would leak unless hairlines don’t let water through. Spring water is unusual for a jug around here. It is pretty spectacular. The guy who had it bought this and a bunch others for $5 apiece. Obviously I paid much more than that. The paper on the side says it was found at 7 mile fair in 1960. & mile fair is a local outdoor rummage.

Steven

Steven

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hi Joe, Yes as it is it will stay. I think the jug is actually more important and even more valuable with it as is. From then to today... Everything is made to throw out now and this thing was made to last and then extremely recycled.

I am pretty sure they are to stabilize the crack... Plus they are lower than where the jugs would touch... Still, a good idea.

Thanks,

Steven

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
they look like bands from a wooden keg that they pounded as far as they could onto the jug.
Not sure why they would do that...bored maybe?
Crack repair effort ..maybe.
They were not forged on that jug or it would be shards..

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

they look like bands from a wooden keg that they pounded as far as they could onto the jug.
Not sure why they would do that...bored maybe?
Crack repair effort ..maybe.
They were not forged on that jug or it would be shards..
I think diggerdirect got it right Matt, they were made and then heated so that they expanded and then they were put onto the jug and tapped into place while still hot and when they cooled then shrank enough to be tight to the jug without harming it... I've used my torch plenty of times to heat black pipe fittings so they would expand enough for me to be able to remove the pipe from them that was put on way to tight in the first place...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohib