stretched or not..7up

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And this from the same page as the last article ... [attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Bo...(3) (255x1100).jpg] [attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Bo...(2) (1100x391).jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Notice on the bottles pictured so far (including those pictured here) that some have calibration marks and some don't. If they were intended strictly for "measuring" the amount of syrup that went into each bottle, then why do some of them have calibration marks and some (majority?) don't? Without a calibration mark, how would they know the "exact" amount of syrup being dispensed? Even if the height/size of these test bottles is a factor, without calibration marks they could not be 100% accurate. The 7up bottle in question does not have any calibration marks/lines. [attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Te...tles (647x572).jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For future reference ... The official Coca Cola formula requires one ounce of syrup per five ounces of carbonated water, which totals six ounces of drink. Double this formula for twelve ounce bottles.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Question: Because all of the syrup bottles are designed with closures to accommodate a crown cap, is it possible they were intended to be shipped to the parent company for analysis at their laboratory in order to assure quality control from their bottlers?

iggyworf

Reaction score
Great work again Bob. I just got back from kayaking all day. I noticed also that some had measure marks on them and some didn't. I suppose they had multiple uses in the industry. So the wooden sleeves could have been for both, shipping & keeping it in check down the bottle line. What about this theory? Taken from one of the links I posted from 'Collectors Weekly' website. "The early bottling lines had liquid low pressure fillers. The bottles came out of the washer, they squirted syrup into them( hence the syrup throw and the use of these syrup measuring bottles), squirted carbonated water in the bottle, capped it, and then spun it or tumbled it into the finished product."

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy I think you are going to like this one - I know I do! [;)] We both agree that whatever these bottles were used for that they did not go through the entire filling process because the bottles are too small to hold 6+ ounces of liquid. So that leaves some other purpose for the bottles such as for measuring and/or testing. Unfortunately, most if not all of what we've read about these bottles comes from sellers who seem to be guessing. I've looked but have not found an official account about them. I did some extensive research on the bottle filling process and it boils down to three basic stages ... 1st: Adding syrup 2nd: Adding carbonated water 3rd: Capping Which brings us to the bottle and metal sleeve pictured here. The wood sleeves we discussed earlier were intended for a somewhat questionable purpose, but I have no doubt that the metal sleeve pictured here was, as the seller states, designed to be grabbed by the filling equipment. But let's not jump to conclusions and assume these bottles were intended for a syrup sample. They could just as easily have been intended for a carbonated water sample. Remember, the Coca Cola Company provided bottlers with a premade syrup that was formulated under the strictest of standards and was a secret formula. They shipped it to bottlers in various sizes, including large wooden kegs, five gallon cans, and one gallon glass bottles. Which raises the question; Why would a bottler have to test the syrup if the parent company had already done that to the minutest detail? But, again, let's not jump to conclusions because I have read accounts where bottlers did in fact have laboratories. However, most of those accounts are rather generic and don't pinpoint exactly what all was tested or how. And definitely no specific details about the bottles in question. Anyway, I currently like the following description the best of the numerous descriptions I have seen so far. It sounds like the seller knows a thing or two, especially because of the other items he got with the test bottle. It doesn't say if the paper label is original or not, but I suspect that it is. Notice the label has 6 1/2 ounces printed on it, which was the fluid contents of your average Coca Cola hobbleskirt bottle in the 1950s and 60s. Also notice the QC for Quality Control. But these questions still remain unanswered ... 1. Were these bottles intended to measure syrup? 2. Were these bottles intended to test the syrup? 3. Were these bottles intended to test the carbonated water? 4. All of the above? 5. Some other purpose?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1950-60s-coca-cola-quality-control-test-tube

1950-60s Coca-Cola Quality Control Test Tube Bottle

Description:

"I recently picked up a really cool collection of Coke bottler quality control items...dating from the 1940s-1970s - used by Coca-Cola bottlers to test product quality and consistency, etc.
You are bidding on a QC Coca-Cola glass bottle with a removable metal sleeve. Bottle has normal sized Coke bottle base and then assumes shape of test tube to the neck. The metal sleeve slides over and allows the filling equipment to grab ahold of it. Such bottles were used to test product mixture, etc. prior to starting a run on a production line." [attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Te...eeve 1956s 60s.jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. The opening in the metal sleeve was probably intended so the equipment would grab the exposed portion of glass. Without the opening for grabbing the glass, the sleeve would just be lifted off.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
And what, if anything, does this tell us? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coca-Cola-Syrup-Test-Bottle-Coke-Premix-Clear-Single-White-Band-11-3-4-/251705793083?nma=true&si=WDxRGzHuMFguM6FyhPc1c46PhP8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 [attachImg]https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/download.axd?file=0;685716&where=message&f=Coca Cola Syrup Te...h Instructions.jpg[/attachImg] [attachImg]https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/download.axd?file=1;685716&where=message&f=Coca Cola Syrup Te...structions (2).jpg[/attachImg]

I'm reposting this from page one to draw attention to where the label shows ... QC 552 6 1/2 Oz. QC 572 10 Oz. Now compare it to the last label where it shows ... QC-551 6 1/2 Oz. If we can determine what those Quality Control numbers mean, we might be able to solve this mystery.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Even though we have already seen this example, let's take another look at it and employ some of the newly found information and see if it makes any sense. I edited part of the description in order to make it a little easier to understand ... (Currently on eBay and ending today)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131664043537

Etched top line above paper label = 5.93 Oz.
Etched lower line below paper label = 4.92 Oz.
Etched on heel = QC 12/78

The bottle itself is an Owens-Illinois and dated 1969. I'm thinking the etched QC 12/78 on the heel is for December 1978 and might be (as the seller suggest) something that someone in the laboratory put there. If it is a date, then it suggest that whatever was being done with the bottle occurred as late as 1978. But 5.93 ounces and 4.92 ounces of what? Syrup or carbonated water?

[attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Bottle eBay 2015.jpg]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward