stretched or not..7up

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score
I have been tryng to search for info, but have come up empty handed. My search skills are not on the expert level. As to the link you just posted, Do we know anyone that worked there in the late 70's? LOL! If that was a syrup measure. That looks like way too much for one bottle of coke. So possibly the carbonated water. But all the listings we find say 'syrup' testing bottle. I do agree with the date etched onto the bottle.
I tried a limited search of Owens Illinois for those bottles. But nothing. Wouldn't they have a record of all the bottle they produced? Not that that would tell us what the bottlers used them for.
I also would think the other major brand soda pop co. would have something similar. This is the first 7up one I have ever seen. Most seem to be Coke. Here is a link to a 'sold' listing on ebay that has three different sizes of these 'Coke' test bottles. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-3-Coca-Cola-Syrup-Test-Bottles-/252177437787?hash=item3ab6f2545b%3Ag%3Aem4AAOSwLzdWTjX7&nma=true&si=hgRCRJOuO4p3guM28oBU0KUm6VY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy Good stuff - but I'm still in the "I don't know and guessing" stage. [&:] Try this one on for size ... The paper label on the eBay test bottle shows 32 Ounces - which is obviously not the contents of the bottle itself and no doubt refers to something else. If the Coca Cola formula for a 6.5 ounce bottle calls for about one ounce of syrup per five ounces of carbonated water, then how many ounces of syrup would be required for a 32 ounce bottle? [attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Bo...15 Paper Label.jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
According to my calculator ... 32 minus 5.93 = 26.07 32 minus 4.92 = 27.08 Or ... 26.07 ounces of carbonated water per 5.93 ounces of syrup 27.08 ounces of carbonated water per 4.92 ounces of syrup [attachment=Question Mark (3).jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
We can add this "Red Rock" test bottle to the list - marked on the base with Owens-Illinois 1947 [attachment=Red Rock Syryp Test Bottle.jpg] [attachment=Red Rock Syryp Tes...-Illinois 1947.jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Known examples thus far ... 1. 7up 2. Coca Cola 3. Kist 4. Pepsi Cola 5. Red Rock

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Hello Bob, I have worked on bottle filling lines and the metal sleeve wouldn't have been lifted off the bottle by either the filling machine or capping machine, as neither the grippers on either machine changed elevation in regards to the conveying system. The grippers are set for a specific diameter of bottle so as not to put undo pressure on the bottle and break it. The openings were probably just to make the spacer metal sleeve less heavy and bulky. The sleeve was inserted over the bottle so it would pass through each machines grippers, There wouldn't have been anything on the grippers that would have gone into the slots, as that would mean changing all the grippers on the machines before running bottles. Which would have been a colossal pain as some of these filling and capping machines would hold thirty two bottles at once. we are talking machinery here which could put out hundreds of bottles an hour, I have worked on bottling lines with a capacity of a thousand bottles an hour, which is really humping along......Andy

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
My current best guess is that these so called test bottles were run through the filling equipment, took a syrup sample, and were then capped and taken to the bottling laboratory to have them tested for sugar content. (And possibly for other test as well but with sugar being the primary thing being measured). To test syrup for sugar content they used what is called a "Hydrometer" such as the example shown below. Its kind of hard to explain this test, but it basically involved placing a hydrometer into the syrup, which would float and then somehow determine the amount of sugar per sample. Hopefully the information on this link, which is from 1922, can explain the test better than I can ...
https://goo.gl/Ed98Hs

(But what I can't figure out is whether the hydrometer was placed directly into the sample bottle that came off the filling machine or if the sample was poured into some type of vile or test tube first). And yes, the Owens-Illinois Glass Company made hydrometers ... [attachment=Hydrometer Sample.jpg] [attachment=Hydrometer Owens-Illinois.jpg] [attachment=Hydrometer Owens Illinois 1949.jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Andy : Mucho gracias' amigo. Surely the metal sleeves were intended for "something specific." But what?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Despite the research I have been doing, I do not currently know the answer to what I consider a relevant question, which is ... Did the concentrated syrup that the parent companies shipped to their franchise bottlers contain all of the sugar needed for the finished beverage - or did the bottlers have to add additional sugar?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I found this in a 1922 Brewers Journal publication ...

(It sounds like concentrates and finished syrups are two different things)

https://goo.gl/PMJwRq

If any Orange-Crush bottler desires to try the dry sugar method, we offer the following formula, using one hundred pounds of sugar, for preparing Orange-Crush, Lemon-Crush and Lime-Crush syrups.

Formula for Mixing:

Mix thoroughly fifty-one fluid ounces of bottlers’ Orange Crush concentrate with ten pounds of sugar. Add this to balance of sugar and mix well; then add thirteen fluid ounces of 50 per cent solution citric acid and water sufficient to make eight and one-half gallons of finished syrup - dissolve and strain. Use one ounce of this syrup to five ounces of water in preparing finished drinks. In the case of Lemon-Crush and Lime-Crush syrup use twenty-two fluid ounces of 50 per cent solution citric acid.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward