stretched or not..7up

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. If the Orange Crush information is accurate, and similar processes were practiced by other brands such as Coca Cola, then it sounds to me as if some bottlers did add sugar to the concentrate, which in turn would explain their reasons for testing the formula prior to bottling it.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
Andy : Mucho gracias' amigo. Surely the metal sleeves were intended for "something specific." But what?
The something specific for the sleeves use would be to make the test bottles fit into the grippers of the filling machine so the test bottles could be put onto the line during a production run, so the sample would be taken during actual filling of the product, pursuant to federal food and drug act specifications on how to sample products used for human consumption.....Andy

andy volkerts

Reaction score
In the factory where I worked all sampling had to be done while the filling and capping procedures were actually taking place, so the sleeves would give the test sampling bottles proper girth for production line spacing feed screw applications and while actually in the filling and capping machines, all the while the product line is running along lickety split, so as to give an actual production condition during sampling, which is one of the FDAS testing requirements......Andy

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Andy If the sample bottle(s) in question went through the entire filling process, what about them being only able to hold about three ounces of fluid? Wouldn't they overflow and make a mess of things?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Coca Cola Bottlers Contract, where I found ...
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1491675/000119312510223971/dex102.htm

17. (a) The Bottler covenants and agrees to use only the Concentrate in preparing the Syrup and the Syrup only for preparing and packaging the Beverage, in strict adherence to and compliance with the written instructions issued to the Bottler from time to time by the Company.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Andy Because we are posting simultaneously, things are a little confusing, but that's okay because I'm sure everyone gets the gist of it. Anyway, it seems certain to me that most, if not all bottlers, received a concentrate from the parent company and then added sugar to it to create the finished syrup. Do you agree with this?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
From ... The Daily Register ~ Harrisburg, Illinois ~ April 16, 1958 [attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Th...958 (670x1100).jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
But these questions still remain unanswered ... 1. Were these bottles intended to measure syrup? 2. Were these bottles intended to test the syrup? 3. Were these bottles intended to test the carbonated water? 4. All of the above? 5. Some other purpose?

All things considered, I choose ... 2. Intended to test the syrup.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
Andy Because we are posting simultaneously, things are a little confusing, but that's okay because I'm sure everyone gets the gist of it. Anyway, it seems certain to me that most, if not all bottlers, received a concentrate from the parent company and then added sugar to it to create the finished syrup. Do you agree with this?
Yes that is true, some bottlers had license from the parent company to add sugar to the formulas, but it was carefully controlled by the parent co.......Andy

andy volkerts

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
Andy If the sample bottle(s) in question went through the entire filling process, what about them being only able to hold about three ounces of fluid? Wouldn't they overflow and make a mess of things?
Most liquid filling machines had a method whereas the charge of syrup and carbonation could be controlled by amount ( depended upon the machine and bottler) which is one of the reasons the formula was checked under actual running conditions. Our machine operator could even shut off the each head if needed. Heads are the stations on a filling machine which drop a tube into the bottle and fill it with syrup, these are actually adjustable as the machine is running, a good operator can actually follow the test bottle thru the machine, then it goes into another filling station for the carbonation injection. At least that is how our bottling plant worked. So the machine would fill the sample bottle with the formulated amount of syrup, the operator would bypass the next injection sequence and the bottle than would proceed to the capper and be capped thus ensuring actual operating procedure. We never sampled the carbonation fluid after the injection filler was loaded, each batch was checked before being put into the injection filler. Soda water is under pressure after injection so it was hard to check the bottles after that stage. you would just pull as many examples of injected (pressurized bottles) off the line for Q & A.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960