stretched or not..7up

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Not entirely sure if you are understanding the procedures as it is a bit complicated, but it was done as best as I can describe. It was forty years ago, I was just learning plant maintenance, and have worked for several food industries in there bottling plants, all were similar except for the soda injection systems(carbonation).....Andy

andy volkerts

Reaction score
And the filler that put in the syrup was a first step and the test bottle left the syrup station (filler) and was pulled off the line before injection (carbonation and run thru a small capper by the syrup filling station used for capping the test bottles, as the injection filler (carbonation stage) actually capped the production run bottles after injecting or carbonating same, so you could say that the 2nd stage filling machine was also a capper, not sure if in my original explanation that was clear. IT WAS A COMPLICATED process to describe over a computer keyboard LOL......Andy

andy volkerts

Reaction score
As a matter of fact I believe in the bottling plant where I worked ( Pepsi Stockton) they didn't use these little bottles at all, just would pull off a regular bottle and cap it and send it to the lab, in fact they would pull three bottles at a time and send all of them wherever they went ( Lab Testing facility in the far reaches of the plant.........Andy

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Andy: Thanks a million. We should have waited until you checked in. Very helpful and I can picture the entire process in my brain like a video. You even answered something I was wondering about as to why some bottlers didn't use a regular bottle for the samples instead of the slim test-tube-like bottles. I'm sure izzy/Rich will be impressed too when he checks in. All we need to do now is come up with an appropriate name for the test bottles that all collectors can easily relate to, such as ... Premix Syrup Sample Bottle for Laboratory Testing (But shortened and not so long) [;)]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. The only thing I don't understand is why I haven't received any instant email notifications since iggy's last post. I wonder if its just me or if the new owner is working on something? They said some changes were coming!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's another Red Rock bottle, except this example has a paper label with Owens-Illinois on it. I can't make out the date on the base but it was described as 1940s and appears to be 9 <(I)> 4? [attachment=Red Rock Syryp Tes...Illinois label.jpg] [attachment=Red Rock Syryp Tes...label close up.jpg] [attachment=Red Rock Syryp Tes...ois label base.jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I have been looking for different brands who used these test bottles and came across this one made by the Root Glass Company. Its the earliest example I have found and would date no later than about 1932, which is when Owens-Illinois bought Root Glass. [attachment=Syrup Test Bottle .ot Glass Company.jpg] [attachment=Syrup Test Bottle ...s Company base.jpg]

CreekWalker

Reaction score
I used to see a lot of these test bottles, in the antique malls and bottle shows, most marked with Owens-Illinois and not the soda brand. We had so many Coke plants close in the 1970-80's in west Tn. , they were all over. Now the Pepsi , 7UP and Red Rock are real good items!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973