SUMUS?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Blackglass

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got back from my vacation in Cape Cod! The beaches, clam digging (I now know why they are called "Razor Clams"[&:] ), all that stuff. We hit a fair number of shops, all were very pricy except for one. One of them, a seller just broght in 2 1/2 boxes full of bottles. BIM, blob tops, and even a Cod. They would be up for sale in 2 day, the day after I left [:mad:] .

Anyhow, I found an at least half decent find amongst a large group of very picked-through bottles at a store that was sort of a cross between an antique store and a flea market. It was sitting on shelf, not with the larger group. I bought it for $3.

Label under glass, ground neck, about 6 1/2 tall inches by looking at it, BIM, SCA. All the label says is "SUMUS". I have absolutely no leads, except that it is latin for "To Be" or "We Are", but I don't see that as a connection. Was it an abr. for a chemical, solution, drug, ect.? I have no idea, hopefully someone on here knows?

Another thing, this bottle may or may not have been dug. It has splotches of snowflake like patterns on the inside, which is either a very stange haze I've never seen, or is a result of the contents evaporating, which if so leads me to believe it had some form of mineral in it, maybe a hair related product. They spider out like well formed crystals, although they appear to be flat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am stumped and this may be the hardest to identify bottle I've put on this forum.

Thanks!
``Michael

12E58FE613D544049012C7F9A818A7FE.jpg

Attachments

• 12E58FE613D544049012C7F9A818A7FE.jpg
    12E58FE613D544049012C7F9A818A7FE.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 56

tigue710

Reaction score
Not sure what sumus is, it's Latin of course... I have seen the snow flake stuff inside other storage bottles that were undug, it had something to do with contents...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles