Talk me out of doing this...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I think it is a very good idea, Gunth, not that I know ANYTHING about what it takes to set something like this up.. but if it's a setup like wikipedia where members can add to it, I can see it becoming very big and encompassing.. I'd like to see a beers and sodas section, personally! Also, excluding prices of bottles sounds wise..

potstone

Reaction score
It is an excellent idea. I also realize the task of creating
a directory of that magnitude would be extremely work intensive.
I think your experimental start page formate is a perfect.
Like Mike (earlyglass) wrote, when it's finished up dating would
be the only maintenance. It would be a tremendous asset to the bottle collecting community.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Being able to selectively export from my existing medicine database helps quite a bit but it is still a lot of work.
Probably my biggest concern is photos. I try to collect photos whenever I can , preferably my own and ones people send me. This is just about impossible for this many bottles especially the rare ones involved. If i get too many complains about unauthorized photo use that could hamper the effort. Probably looking at somewhere around 8000-10000 total listings.

There are a lot of people who use this type of information who are not bottle collectors.
I get quite a few inquiries from people like relatives trying to track down ancesteral businesses, archaeologists trying to ID shards, museum workers, and others. That is one reason I think an open interest directory would be good.

Would you have a vet. med. section?
Not specifically, but I do always try to cover vet bottles as a subset of general medicines.
Many of the early pat. meds. were for both man AND beast.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75