Today was a good day for a swim...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

amblypygi

Reaction score
Cause it was hot, and the place we swum was all fulla litter [;)]

The real keepers here are a green Bigelow & Co. soda from Springfield, MA, a Langley's Root and Herb Bitters, and a nice crude Rush's Buchu and Iron. There was some nice stoneware and crowntops too, including the second Liberty Brewing Co. (of Dr. Seuss fame) that I've found in as many weeks. I'm going to donate that one to the new Dr. Seuss exhibit at the Springfield Museum.

B1C6BCC9B2D646EC92E881F02F83BA8D.jpg

Attachments

• B1C6BCC9B2D646EC92E881F02F83BA8D.jpg
    B1C6BCC9B2D646EC92E881F02F83BA8D.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 56

amblypygi

Reaction score
This bunch included a Cumming's Vegetine (eh..) and a perfect but unembossed pontiled medicine. Still a very fine day!

FC13D5CF5DFF4FE69315E1C83478788B.jpg

Attachments

• FC13D5CF5DFF4FE69315E1C83478788B.jpg
    FC13D5CF5DFF4FE69315E1C83478788B.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 53

logueb

Reaction score
Great finds. I'm new to the water thing, but not into the Scuba thing. Hey, it shouldn't be much different than wearing a scba in a fire. Both cases you're breathing cylinder air. Quick question, can you fill scuba tanks on the same equipment that you fill scba's with. Got a friend that does the underwater thing and may just give it a try one day. I'm having better luck in the water than on land. Great bottles and pottery. Good luck on you're next outing.

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: logueb

....Quick question, can you fill scuba tanks on the same equipment that you fill scba's with. ...

Oh hell yeah; some of the best fills I've ever had were from this nutcase who used to fill our aluminum 80s to 4000psi at the fire station. I was always a little nervous for the first 15 minutes of those dives when I felt like I had a bomb on my back, but they're actually supposed to tolerate 5000 before they blow so I learned to deal with it. I wonder what ever happened to that dude??? :)

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Congrats on a nice haul Amblypygi!

Hey Logueb,
Sounds like you are a firefighter?? If so, maybe your department would consider training you (at their expense)? In the water rescues can and do happen. However, even if you can't get free training, I'd take a PADI course just to be safe before you start diving. There's a lot to learn and I guarantee you will enjoy it. After that, any dive shop would fill your tanks.

riverdiver

Reaction score
Awesome finds,

Are you diving in the Connecticut River by chance? one of my river diving partners just got hired down in Springfield at the hospital and we want to dive in your area, maybe we could all hook up? Send me a pm if you are interested.

FloridaRecycled

Reaction score
Great haul! I would love to see some close ups after they are cleaned up...in that second pic looks like you got 2 milk's there? Where are they from?

Curious...when you dive for stuff is it usually always partially visible (sticking out of the bottom) or do you have to probe the bottom like what has to be done on land?

Thanks!

glass man

Reaction score
LOT OF QUESTIONS ASKED! COUPLE FROM ME TOO,IS THAT PONTILED BLACK GLASS OR JUST NEEDS CLEANING? ALSO WHAT IS THE CONECTION BETWEEN DR. ZEUSS AND THE LIBERTY BREWING CO? THANK YOU! JAMIE

amblypygi

Reaction score
Wow, many questions. First thing I want to say is: listen to blobbottlebob and get well trained before you start diving, especially in rivers! The main difference between scuba and a Scott is that if your Scott malfunctions and you hold your breath and run back out of the building your lungs don't explode. With scuba they do.

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: glass man
...,IS THAT PONTILED BLACK GLASS OR JUST NEEDS CLEANING? ALSO WHAT IS THE CONECTION BETWEEN DR. ZEUSS AND THE LIBERTY BREWING CO? THANK YOU! JAMIE

Hi Jamie,

That pontil is aqua, it's just covered with river blackness, which get everything that is exposed in fresh water. The connection between Dr. Seuss and Miss Liberty? Check this thread:

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-30572/mpage-1/key-/tm.htm#246929

And also here:

http://www.time.com/time/columnist/corliss/article/0,9565,597240,00.html

I had another link to a book on Google that I can't refind that said that Liberty Brewing Company was started in 1901 and then became Springfield Breweries sometime later before prohibition.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks