Tumbling with Ceramic Pellets

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been experimenting with ceramic pellets in my tumbler. I have been in contact with a few members about using these ceramic pellets and had told them I would post my results here. First of all I am new at tumbling but I feel I have tried several different options with several different polishing compounds and I have came to the conclusion that they work very well for '' sick'' bottles as a pre-tumble to remove minor defects and give the bottle a very smooth texture. The down side is that I have not been able to achieve a finished product with the ceramic pellets without effecting the mold seams and embossing. I tumbled them for about 12 hrs. with 1000 grit silicone carbide to remove defects with great results, that's where I should have stopped and used copper and a less aggressive compound. I did not destroy my bottles, but did not improve a finish product with a finer grit compound either! I am going to get some copper and tumble them with a finer compound that I know will bring back the finish shine. I will continue to use them as a pre- tumble first and then go to copper. I read that it is not good to use the same copper for cutting as polishing so this will reduce my cost in only having to use copper for the final polish. This bottle is a Lemon Cola bottle that I paid 1.00 for with a lot of damage to the exterior that now just needs final tumbling. I am waiting on copper and will post a picture after the final tumble, here is a picture after 12 hours with ceramic pellets. Thanks Kevin..

Attachments

• 2bd663c71de4418cbfc74bcdcfa26691.jpg
    2bd663c71de4418cbfc74bcdcfa26691.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 115

chosi

Reaction score
> I read that it is not good to use the same copper for cutting as polishing That's news to me. I've been using the same copper for both cutting & polishing for years now, and haven't had any problems.
Although I do rinse off my copper thoroughly after each tumble.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hi Chosi, I just read that earlier in a post in this forum, I also have read the same thing about rock tumbling. I really don't know this to be a fact as I just started tumbling bottles. I try to use all the information I can and will sort it out when I find it is personal opinions. What did you think about the finish on the Lemon Cola for the first tumble with the ceramic pellets ? Is this the usual look for a sick bottle with aggressive compound prior to final tumbling ? or is that to much tumbling of a sick bottle in your opinion ? Thanks, Kevin...

T D

Reaction score
Simplify, simplify, simplify. I almost exclusively tumble heavy bottles (crown top sodas) and use the same copper over and over with 1200 and polish. In fact, I usually use a combination of both every tumble. I've got only two canisters going (1- cleaning inside and outside, and 1- cleaning inside) almost all the time. I work full time and frankly don't have the time or inclination to clean and switch around copper every time I change bottles. When the bottles look like they are not getting clean, either add a little 1200 or clean your copper. I tumble 99 percent for my own collection and if I tumble a bottle and stick it on the shelf and after a while want to tumble it some more, I do.

My key is to go maybe a day less and do it slowly. With 1200 and polish, I have NEVER had an issue with not cleaning a bottle or OVER tumbling. I have a couple of bottles on my shelf that still have a hint of sickness in them that I may or may not try to clean up more at a later time. If a bottle can't be made to look really nice with 1200 and or polish then maybe it should never have been tumbled.

One other thing, I have tumbled a few "high dollar" bottles for others or myself and used cleaned copper with brand new cutter/polish in it to ensure less time in the tumbler...

FitSandTic

Reaction score
That is sound info TD! I always use the same copper in my tumbler as well. I always use my mixture and tumble one time. The compound I use is not aggressive at all and is more for polishing, but I have had nothing but great results from it. I think you are correct in saying that some bottles are not the best candidates for tumbling. Some bottle can look worse after being tumbled. Bottles that are scratched really bad are sometimes better left alone but that is my opinion. Kevin I have a bottle to show you that will show you what I am talking about.

chosi

Reaction score
lblackvelvet said:
Hi Chosi ... What did you think about the finish on the Lemon Cola for the first tumble with the ceramic pellets ? Is this the usual look for a sick bottle with aggressive compound prior to final tumbling ? or is that to much tumbling of a sick bottle in your opinion ? Thanks, Kevin...
I've never used 1000 Grit, but I suspect it was too agressive.
1500 usually clears up glass that is stained or slightly sick. 1200 grit has never failed to remove cloudiness in a bottle for me, no matter how sick it was. I think 1000 is what you use when you want to try to remove scratches, but that can end up removing the embossing so I avoid it.

hemihampton

Reaction score
You said thats where I should of Stopped? Does this mean you did not stop. If not how did you proceed? LEON.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen