Unknown Coke Bottles (maybe?)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

The Can Kid

Reaction score
The other day, I was at an antique store and came across two Coca-Cola hobbleskirt bottles. But these two were different. Instead of the typical 1940s Coca-Cola logo, these had the older style (early 1900s, from the first Coke labels) logo, but stretched out a bit. Is this a know bottle. I've never heard of them before. I don't have any pictures, but I got a good look at them. They are asking $4 for a slightly damaged one and $8 for a good one. There is nothing on the bottom except the typical machine scar, no cities or states on them.-9
Does anyone know what these bottles are, and are they worth the asking price?

glass man

Reaction score
Pictures would help...but if coca cola is not embossed on the bottom they are not "straight sides"[1900-1915..called that cause they are straight up and down..no curve to them...most all are not machine made]...if they are earler then they would certainly not be machine made and are of the "HUTCH" type...top looks kinda like a mini-old milk bottle top...so...??JAMIE

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Dario,

Welcome to the A-BN. If I wanted to learn the answer to your questions, I'd head back to said antique store with camera in hand, and take good photos of these bottles. Then we can have a real show & tell.

I see that you're a can guy, and may not have the Coca-Cola knowledge or descriptive terminology to make yourself clear.

You are talking about the Contour bottle /hobbleskirt, aren't you? There were some very subtle changes made to the logo when the Pat'D's came in, we're talking in terms of hundredths of an inch, not dramatic "stretching."

Coca-Cola was and is very concerned with the appearance of their logo.

When you say "label," do you mean the Coca-Cola logo? Are either of these unillustrated bottles featuring any paint or ACL?

You see our dilemma, I hope.

There is nothing on the bottom except the typical machine scar, no cities or states on them.

"The Coca-Cola Co. sent a blueprint drawn by C.W. Mourey to various glass houses, including the Chattanooga Bottle & Glass Co. (as described in Napier’s directives). Dated August 16, 1916, this almost certainly marks the earliest transmission of bottle details to any companies other than Root. It also demonstrates that glass houses – aside from Root – had the capability to make the bottles by that time.

Coca-Cola sent a revision to the glass houses on May 13, 1918. From that point on, the city and state of each bottling plant was to be embossed on the bases of Coca- Cola bottles to maintain a record of plants that bottled Coca-Cola and ascertain that bottles were being sold only to authorized bottlers (Figure 5). This was a logical extension of previous practices in the soda bottling industry in general and reflected the typical bottler information on the earlier, straight-sided Coke bottles." From.

SpotXmasRepro.jpg
From.

The Can Kid

Reaction score
I'm sorta half cans, half bottles. I have been collecting bottles for a while and I know a bit about Coca-Cola.
Now to answer your questions:
they are not straight sides or hutchinsons, they are hobbleskirt or countour or whatever...
they don't have any ACL or paper label, i'm saying the Coca-Cola logo on them is the same kind shown on the first Coca-cola paper labels. these are just embossed bottles.

I could get back there this weekend, but I need to know if it's worth the drive.

Thanks,
The Can Kid

surfaceone

Reaction score
I could get back there this weekend, but I need to know if it's worth the drive.

Dario,

I have no idea. Do you want to know the answer to your question? If so, it might be worth the drive.

they are hobbleskirt or countour or whatever...

Did you happen to notice if they were Pat'D's, Christmas', or whatever? Clear glass, or Georgia green?

10846_Weegee.jpg

The Can Kid

Reaction score
I honestly can't tell you anything else about them. I'm going to go back there today and spend the $12 to get them. It's not like I'm going to lose a lot of money if they turn out to be normal and I'm seeing things. I'll update the thread when I get back.

-The Can (and bottle) Kid

The Can Kid

Reaction score
Well, I'm on my way out of the house right now, so I can't put up pictures just yet.
Later today I'll edit this post to include the picture. However, I have the bottle with me right now, so I can tell you a few things for sure.

There's no patent date anywhere on it. One side says "COCA-COLA/TRADE MARK REGISTERED/MIN. CONTENTS 6 FL. OZS." The other side is the same, but without the contents statement. Nothing is on the base of the bottle except the machine scar. The bottle is made of thick glass, but it is not the typical Coke green color. It's clear.

That's all for now!

-The Can Kid

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday