Unusual Glassware

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It still looks like machine made to me, maybe Italian? The stippling all over, especially at the base looks like more than would have been done 100 years ago. Maybe the lip and base had some post making work done.I don't see a pontil, fake or otherwise. I have know idea what you mean by that.
Anyway, Cup-bottom molded bases is what I think your all trying to discuss? I locked the other thread about, it's too confusing with both. HERE

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Back again; The valve mark reference
"...it is certainly contrived, i.e., it is a feature engraved into the base plate of the machine mold OR it is possibly (but unlikely) a ?ejection? or valve mark from the use of a ?press-and-blow? machine. These valves were put in the center of the baffle - in the press and blow process to provide air pressure to the top of the gob of glass dropped in the top of the open blank parison mold.
This was to make sure the finish on a large mouth jar parison got filled with the hot glass.
After that was done the plunger was pushed up into the parison mold to shape the pressed parison form.
Then the plunger pulled down and the parison was transferred to the final mold for the final blow of the jar. Another interesting mark was produced in the middle of jars, which looks like a wavy line in the jars. which is called the settle blow wave some times - where the settle blow air chilled the glass around the top of the gob of glass before the plunger was pushed up.
RED Matthews 23

diggerdirect

Reaction score
This has all the appearance of a modern knock off, pier 1 type item, definitely machine made, purely decorative. Probably from the late 1990's or so. Not a reproduction of anything old, altho similar in form/design to a Perrines or such with the roped corners, ect. Not much value to a collector, more so maybe to a house decorator. Al

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I have studied the pictures and 0029 jpg shows the mold seam stopping below the finish glass. So the finish glass would have to be examined for horizontal tool marks.The picture 0030 has nothing applied about it.The picture 0031 does not show any pontil marks. It does show the typical corner thinness of glass distribution in the final blow to fill the bottom and bottom edges of the cavity form. Some times called Heal Tap. This happens because of a lack of glass to fill the four corners. The bottom of a bottle can never be applied. I think I have seen postings of this type of bottle before, but I couldn't find reference to it.I wouldn't have enough confidence to invest money into it. I could study it, but I am migrating with the geese next week. RED Mathews

epgorge

Reaction score
The color shows Italian or Mexican production to me. Not a cornflower blue but a blue I see in modern reproductions and or decorative pieces such as found at Pier One. Not valuable to most collectors. Maybe in a hundred years.Joel

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well it is weeks later, I guess because I can't find last months postings on my coj=mputer - so I am trailing behind what is going on. But looking at the pictures again I noticed this tume that the bottom curved edge of the bottom was stippled with a punch to make it look different than any commercial use bottle. That is enough to make me think it is a decorator master piece - that I wouldn't bother to take home. Sorry but that deceptive stippling is not a production standard proceedure. RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers