UPPER SCIOTO RIVER

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lepew62

Reaction score
I went to the very upper area of the Scioto river today. When I say upper I mean creek running thru the cornfield 5 feet wide upper Scioto. If anyone wants to wade I suggest using google maps to check out the area. It makes it easy to follow the river up to its origins. It also enables one to find roads with bridge crossings. It saves gas and time driving blindly down back roads, though driving blindly is a male sporting event[:D]. I found the bridge I wanted to enter from and started downstream. As soon as I entered the creek I found some shards, cokes, brown glass, and various other pieces. I considered that a good, I walked a river yesterday and found 2 shards. The walk was fairly easy with a sandy bottom and intermittent pools a few feet deep. I continued downstream finding shards mostly modern era stuff. I did find a ball jar embossed BALL MASONS PATENT 1858, aqua blue, mold seam up each side, #3 on the bottom. The other bottle is a crown top embossed soda from LIMA CONSOLIDATED BOTTLING, contents 7 1/2 ozs. I did find the bottom shard of a soda embossed Sandusky O, would like to find a whole one. I did come across 2 huge dumps and one smaller one. One dump is in a gully that is maybe 8 ft deep and 6 ft wide. It looks as if they used to dump glass there, now there is a large amount of metal trash on top of it. Not sure if there would be much chance of digging anything out. Another dump area runs parallel to the river in a gully also. It borders a field and appears to be the old course the river ran. While in the river there is a steep bank on the right, climb over that bank and that is where the gully sits. It is littered with trash and old appliances up and down its length. I didnt check it out thoroughly but will at a later date, looked to be modern junk. I guess the good stuff might be seen on closer inspection. The smaller dump I found when I spotted more shards than usual on the bank. I followed them up a small wash and found some bottles, nothing of importance though. I will check all 3 locations out a little better in the future. I guess finding 3 dump sites within a mile of each other is a good thing. I waded that area of the stream till the shards became scarce. I went back to the truck and drove a cpl miles to the town close by. I went to the bridge and walked upstream a bit. I found some shards, an old fuel oil tank, and a wheel chair. No sign of anyone being in the chair when it was dumped[;)]. I noticed I was losing sunlight and my tummy was growling a little, I had been out 5 hrs by this time. I waded back to the bridge and waded a little ways downstream past it. I just wanted to do a little exploratory excursion before cutting out. Pictured are the 2 finds for the day. I know they are not anything special, but it is a sign older glass has been thrown, or washed, into the river. So I will go and pick up where I left off tomorrow, hopefully I will have better results. Have a great one bottle people.

82C0C8B72CBF4ACB83EBA312C4E46735.jpg

Attachments

• 82C0C8B72CBF4ACB83EBA312C4E46735.jpg
    82C0C8B72CBF4ACB83EBA312C4E46735.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 46

cyberdigger

Reaction score
That's quite a de-briefing, Dave! Thank you! Good luck, hope you get the goods.. you're obviously on the right track! [:)]

lepew62

Reaction score
trip today was a bust, I did find a bottle embossed WOLVERINE ORIGINAL GINGER ALE, bottled by ELECTRO PURE WATER CO. TOLEDO OHIO. I figure madman has a few of em. I think I will have to go further downstream to another bridge. We have not had any rain for a bit, maybe I will try around Kenton again. I might go on Friday as I am busy all day tomorrow. Will let ya know what happens, have a great tomorrow everyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.