VALUES ... guides vs e-bay vs dealers vs ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Morb ~ L C ~ Oklabottles ~ (And all who have replied faster than I can keep up with them) Thanks!

Personally, I think L C has come the closest to the answer I was hoping for. Not that the others are without merit, because they are, and I truly appreciate each and every comment. It's just that L C hit on something a little more specific by indicating a general price range between $60.00 and $135.00. Which I believe is how all price guides (and you know there will be numerous in the future) should list each and every bottle ... which is in a value "range." Even some of the world's leading appraisers on "Antiques Road Show" do this very thing on a weekly basis. So with this said, a person should be able to "estimate" on their own and gauge my Big Chief bottle to be worth approximately $90.00, which is about half-way between $60.00 and $135.00. I realize I said $75.00 earlier, but now I'm changing that to ... (especially if it was a for real guide and not just a pretend one) a fair and (I believe accurate) price guide value of $75.00 to $100.00

I think we're making some progress here folks. And I want to thank everyone again for your contributions. I can see this is a subject that has a great deal of interest, but that may need some more research for future interest. By the way, how in the heck does the "Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide" do it with over 285,000 listings? (I collect a few comics as well). [:D]

SPBOB

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Well my points were toward the general topic of values and value guides more than your specific bottle, because I won't even insult you by venturing a guess. The reason is that I have no idea what a Big Chief is worth, that's why I was sticking to the general topic. Which is an interesting one really as far too many non-hobbyist or dealers use price guides as the Word or God for pricing, and unfortunately many of the non-hobbyists can't grasp the concept that the price listed is for an example in perfectly mint condition, not their ratty sick glass three huge chips on the bottom example they are trying to sell for full mint price. Dealers who do this should know better, but I've seen it, and have argued with quite a few who had their head up their posterior when it comes to condition and price guides.

A little knowledge can be deadly in the wrong hands. LOL!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Right on Morb! You really hit the nail on the head this time regarding an "online/internet" webside dealing with this very subject. In fact, I should have thought of it myself. Lol [:D] There is a good (and well respected) site for comic books that I use to follow my 100+ comics (Mostly 1970s Spiderman's) and it has changing values on an almost weekly/monthly basis. It works well for that, and I see no reason why one wouldn't work for soda bottles as well.

So who is going to be the individual who starts one up? You just know it's coming! At least I hope there is. I think it would be the coolest thing ever. At least that way I wouldn't have to spend so much time here bugging all of you fine people.

Mucho Gracias'

SPBOB

bottle34nut

Reaction score
my bottles have really no monetary value what soever. if i dont collect the type i have i simply give them away to someone who will cherish them, no matter what the value. its just the way i am. and i have given away nice bottles and shipped them at my cost. just the way i am. greg ps. i just just love old glass

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
bottle34nut ~

Here's my "Hat's Off" to you owl if I can get it to work right. Sometimes it does, and sometimes not. That is very generous of you, and I feel a little guilty now for seeming so greedy. Which I'm not really, but I do consider my collection as a form of investment, and hopefully in about 50 years or so it might actually be worth something. But that, my friend, is the topic of another discussion. And speaking of that, there was a thread several months ago that dealt with the very subject of the future of bottle collection. I can't recall exactly where it left off, but I do recall my saying that I hope counterfeiters never get involved with the hobby. Just think how easy it would be for someone who is extremely knowledgeable with paints to take a plain old soda bottle, like so many that are similar in many respects, and stencil-paint a rare label on it. The thought makes me shutter. And if something like that ever happens, it will likely change soda bottle collecting forever. Heck, for all I know my Big Chief is a counterfeit.

Anyway, sorry for getting side-tracked. It seems to be the order of the day for me. But may hat is still off to you ... oh, by the way, you don't happen to have a "Big Hit" acl you're wanting to give away do you? (Just kidding. I couldn't help myself). Lol [:D]

SPBOB

This animation is really cool if it works. If not I will not be able to correct or delete it. Here goes.

45F1DD5D596D42A1ADC931CD743356AA.gif

Attachments

• 45F1DD5D596D42A1ADC931CD743356AA.gif
    45F1DD5D596D42A1ADC931CD743356AA.gif
    61.6 KB · Views: 79

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The (Taft, Ca.) e-bay Big Chief just sold for $41.00 + $7.95 S&H = $48.95 (13 bids)

So at least we know "today's" price for a "similar" one to mine. But as popular opinion dictates, who knows what one will bring next week or next year? I will keep an eye on e-bay and post ocassional updates.

Thanks to all who took an interest in this topic.

And who needs a stinkin' badge ... er, I mean who needs a stinkin' price guide? Lol [:D]

SODA"READYFORDINNER"BOB

div2roty

Reaction score
I've dealt with comics for years and only recently got into bottles, but there are some major differences. Its easier to catalog comics and of course less variances. Overstreet doesn't list a range, although it, like most price guides on any collectible will mention in the begining of the book that there does exist a range of normal prices and what they are listing is the average. I've set up at some of the biggest comic cons in the mid atlantic and i don't think i've ever sold a book for actual book value. The only ones that have come close are the key issues. However, I like to sell and for instance if you look at my booth from the Balt bottle show this year and next year, at least 50% of my merch will be differemt, if not closer to 75-80%.

So there are questions of how long you want to try and sell something. Eventually you could get top dollar, or in my case I might sell something for less, but then in the mean time sell two other bottles that would have taken that same spot on my table. So I might make more profit selling three bottles in the time it would take to sell the one for top dollar.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
div2roty ~

Thanks for that. Very interesting and applicable.

Let's say I was interested in trading my Big Chief bottle (which I'm not). But exactly how would we agree on a value without getting into a squabble over it? Example: I say $75.00 and you say $25.00. How would we ever come to terms on a genuine value? E-bay? Price Guide? Or what? With the experience I've had with comics, almost everyone refers to "Guide Price" and then goes up or down from there. But, again, how do we achieve this with soda bottles? And I don't mean just with my Big Chief, but with all soda bottles? It gets a little crazy. But I guess all we can do is to try and do our best and hope things work out.

Thanks again,

SPBOB

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottle34nut

my bottles have really no monetary value what soever. if i dont collect the type i have i simply give them away to someone who will cherish them, no matter what the value. its just the way i am. and i have given away nice bottles and shipped them at my cost. just the way i am. greg ps. i just just love old glass
Many have monetary value to guys like me and "Silk City Tom" and "eyeluvold$" and "ferbiava" and a few others Greg !!!!!........:O)

cyberdigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottle34nut

I will cherish them, Greg.. no matter who you give them to... I know what you mean, man....!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR