Vernors Ginger Ale 150th B-Day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
NO, I was thinking of another book by Keith Wunderlich in 2008. I don't have the book or the one you mentioned. LEON.

P.S. This book mentions they are not so sure of the Aged 4 years story while he was off serving in the civil war.

Last edited:

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
I have Keith Wunderlich's Vernor's book, from Arcadia Publishing, with those sepia cover photos of historical subjects of every town in the US.
In it, he states that in a 1932 publication, Pharmaceutical Era, it says Vernor's Ginger Ale sales were $700 in 1870, and rose to $10,000 in 1872.
The 235 Woodward address was considered too far north of town to do brisk business, so JV was looking to draw customers in with the fountain and flower sales.

Early business card.jpg

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
Have an 1870 Det. Directory page showing Vernor's Pharmacy at 235 Woodward.

Vernor 1870 Det Dir.jpg

Attachments

• Vernor 1870 Det Dir.jpg
    Vernor 1870 Det Dir.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The following link is to the earliest docu-mented history of Vernor's Ginger Ale that I'm aware of ...

When it opens, scroll back to Page 140 where the article starts. Notice on Page 143 where it says ...

"He [James Vernor] came back to Detroit in 1866 and entered into the retail drug business in partnership with Charles L'Hommedieu, later buying the latter's interest and continuing until he embarked in the ginger ale business."

When you couple the link information with the attached newspaper snippet, where it indicates the Vernor/L'Hommedieu partnership was officially dissolved on December 7, 1868, it sounds to me that the earliest James Vernor could have ventured out on his own and relocated to 235 Woodward Avenue would have been in late 1868 or early 1869.

The Bulletin of Pharmacy - Detroit, Michigan

Note: Of all the histories I've read about Vernor's, this one appears to be the most accurate, especially because it includes mention of Charles L'Hommedieu.

https://books.google.com/books?id=I...#v=onepage&q=Vernor's Ginger Ale 1866&f=false

Newspaper article - Detroit Free Press - December 11, 1868

Vernor and L'Hommedieu Detroit Free Press December 11, 1868.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Especially notice in the 1919 history where it says in the first sentence ...

"Starting as a retail druggist, way back in 1868, James Vernor, Detroit, has built up a mammoth business on ginger ale"

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Off topic but ...

Just in case you don't hear from me later its because my community is currently in the path of a raging brush fire. They have already issued an evacuation notice but myself and numerous other residents are staying put as long as we can. Currently the winds are to the east and pushing the fire away from us, but if they switch to the north, it could get dicey around here.

The red outline on this map shows where the fire has already burned - with the red arrow pointing north - the yellow X is about where I live and only about four miles north of the currently active blaze. For more information, Google "San Diego County Border Fire."

Map ...

Fire Map June 23, 2016.jpg

Plane dropping fire retardant ...

Fire Map June 23, 2016 Plane Drop.jpg

Firefighter wishing he was somewhere else ...

Fire Map June 23, 2016 Plane Drop Fireman.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology