What cities are known to have pontiled druggist bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
Thanks for the information!

It can be hard to draw a line between having “druggist†embossed or not. It is simpler to me to just consider those that are. The same grouping is probably done by the Bitters collector. Collect ones embossed “Bittersâ€, but possibly getting some that may have other embossing but the label saying Bitters. There are some states that may not have any pontiled era “druggist†embossed bottles. Arkansas, Iowa, Illinois and Indiana appear that way. Some other Western edge states from that time period may also not have one. For these states a drug store collector may have to collect ones without “druggistâ€. That, or stick to newer bottles clearly marked “druggistâ€. I have bottles from Illinois, Louisiana and Alabama that were from druggists, and the bottle’s shape is appropriate, they just are not marked as such.

The other issue is what was in the bottle. Was it a medicine or a prescription filled out and put in a generic “druggist†bottle? To some this may sound the same…hey it is medicine in both. But would a Bitters collector think of their bottles as just a medicine, not likely. Still I am sure many locally produced “patent medicines†were put in generic druggist bottles. And just because a bottle is clearly a medicine, but not marked druggist, should I not collect it? I have a beautiful “J. B. Wheatley's compound syrup
Dallasburgh KY†that would fit that category.

Ok, maybe I ponder these things too much. My first digging partner once collected aqua Ball fruit jars based on the mold number on the bottom. I thought he was nuts as they all looked the same to me. How picky are some of you in what you collect? Being this is a pontil thread… do you collect any pontils? Only ones specific to certain areas? Only a certain type, like soda? Maybe a combination of the two?

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: midway49

Maysville, Ky has two different pontiled bottles from Seaton & Sharpe.  The op version is embossed "S&S Maysville, Ky".  The ip bottle is embossed "Seaton & Sharpe, Maysville, Ky", but I don't think it's embossed "Druggists".  However I have a copy of an 1844 receipt from Seaton & Sharpe as "Importers and Dealers in Drugs, Medicines, Paints, Oils, Dye-stuffs, Glassware, &&".
  Sorry no pics, but I thought Jimbo might have the OP bottle we dug.  I think there are only 2 of the op, and one of the ip.  We dug the ip also and it stayed in Maysville.

I'll see if I can't take a decent picture of it over the next couple of days. And I still want a good copy of that receipt. Somebody wrote on mine before I got it.[:mad:]

sandchip

Reaction score
Here are the pictures of the Coster & Coxe that I promised.

A3258F0BDF504E389F726CFE221027F8.jpg

Attachments

• A3258F0BDF504E389F726CFE221027F8.jpg
    A3258F0BDF504E389F726CFE221027F8.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 94

sandchip

Reaction score

143F252F5F7E4E22B3D13BFCC1C63845.jpg

Attachments

• 143F252F5F7E4E22B3D13BFCC1C63845.jpg
    143F252F5F7E4E22B3D13BFCC1C63845.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 104

sandchip

Reaction score

339020953B7944478F94773D3D6C5A16.jpg

Attachments

• 339020953B7944478F94773D3D6C5A16.jpg
    339020953B7944478F94773D3D6C5A16.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 99

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
Great bottle Jimbo! I always like to see what exists. Hopefully another one will turn up. I was glad to see I was wrong in a statement I made earlier. Iowa had at least one embossed druggist. There was a MOORE & HOOPER / DRUGGISTS / KEOKUK. IOWA bottle. Now I need to find out if others exist from some of the other states.

dogtx

Reaction score
Hey Whats the one from VA that you have?
Or where from Va is it from?

baltbottles

Reaction score
Ok, maybe I ponder these things too much. My first digging partner once collected aqua Ball fruit jars based on the mold number on the bottom. I thought he was nuts as they all looked the same to me. How picky are some of you in what you collect? Being this is a pontil thread… do you collect any pontils? Only ones specific to certain areas? Only a certain type, like soda? Maybe a combination of the two?

Well that's an important question as I collect everything pontiled from Baltimore except historical flasks and I always look for mold variations I don't have no matter how small each is a different bottle. I have bought duplicates of pontiled meds that I thought were condition upgrades and got them home and when I compared them to my example realized that the embossing was a different size or font representing a completely different mold. Take the picture below of the Peter Babb pontiled sodas. From left to right they are as follows.

P.BABB / BALTo custom mold in a pony shape
P.BABB, / BALT.o custom mold in a soda shape this one has a comma after BABB
P.BABB / BALT.o rectangular slug plate in a soda shape
P.BABB / BALTo custom mold in a porter shape
P.BABB, - BALT.o custom mold in a lager shape
P.BABB / BALTo rectangular slug plate in a porter shape
P.BABB / BALTo rectangular slug plate taller skinny soda shape and no period between BALT and o
P.BABB / BALT.o custom mold in a soda shape, this one has smaller embossing and lacks the comma after BABB

Some people might view this as taking it to an extreme, but to me each is a very different bottle and chronicles how his bottles developed over his time in business.

Chris

5E6A1E8BF8994F3DB881C17A1F4AFA4A.jpg

Attachments

• 5E6A1E8BF8994F3DB881C17A1F4AFA4A.jpg
    5E6A1E8BF8994F3DB881C17A1F4AFA4A.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 99

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
Dogtx - My Virginia bottles are shown on the second page of this thread. One is Richmond the other Wheeling.

Baltbottles - I am the same way. I like to collect all variations. I find it interesting when placing similar bottles next to each other. It brings out color and embossing differences. I also like to have sets of bottles. For example different sizes of druggists. I have 8 different sizes of Becker's druggist bottles from Freeburg IL and 8 for the Barclay druggist from Cairo IL. I also like to have different colors of the same mold.

texasdigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

"Prices Patent Texas Tonic - Republic of Texas"

I consider that a New Orleans bottle even though it has the word Texas on it.

It is a New Orleans bottle for sure, but still it is my top dream bottle other than the amber pontiled Roberton's tonic stomach bitter Austin, Texas. I have seen a tooth medicine embossed with druggist from Galveston Texas that was so early you would swear it is pontiled, but alas it is hinge mold. If it was the druggists second order of that bottle I know the first order was pontiled.

Great bottles, great discussion, and that amber Alabama bottle is truly the prettiest druggist I have ever seen.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal