What makes a bottle a Poison?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
Other then figural skulls, the words not to be taken and poison. What makes a bottle a poison? I've dug up iodine bottles with the paper label rotted away and you probably shouldn't drink ammonia, ink or glue? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't feel that any of those should be on the poison list. Any thoughts on this one or previous threads that I've missed about this one? Jason

Jim

Reaction score
Hi, Jason. There are many different qualifications for poison bottles. If the words POISON, NOT TO BE TAKEN, EXTERNAL USE ONLY, skull and bones, the name of a specific poison, etc. are not present, then there should be either an odd shape or texture to clearly distinguish the bottle as a poison. These can include ribbing (vertical or horizontal), hobnails, raised dots, diamond lattice patterns and strange shapes. Some bottles which contained poisonous substances are not classified as poison bottles due to the lack of these features. If a poison label exists on an otherwise plain bottle, they are known as "label-only" poisons, and are generally not as desirable as actual embossed poison bottles. A true poison bottle can usually be identified as such with or without a label.

Cobalt, green and amber are the most common colors for poisons, although aquas and clears also exist. Embalming fluid and insect killer bottles are collected as a separate subcategory of poisons. I hope this helps. If you ever find any you're not sure about, I'll be glad to help with ID. Jim

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Good explaination.
Its all about the bottle style and markings. Doesnt really matter that much what was actually in it.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Jason, While the stuff you mentioned may be poisonous the stuff that came in the bottles {syanide, strycnine, arsenic and other neat stuff} Jim described will make quick work of you.

Illiteracy is not as big a factor as it was in the fancy colored bumpy bottle days either.

swizzle

Reaction score
Thanx guys. That was a really big help. Someday soon I'll be pulling out my first poison. I can feel it. Jason

swizzle

Reaction score
Ask and though shalt recieve. I was at a sale yesterday and found at least one poison. The one is a SHARP and DOHME SANTALETS and the other is a warrenteed flask with a small paper label on the back. Jason

Tr49646.jpg

Attachments

• Tr49646.jpg
    Tr49646.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 76

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday