7up BOTTLES ~ OUTSIDE THE BOX

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jblaylock

Reaction score
Bob,

When you post photos, after you add them in, before submitting the reply, double click the photo and it will give you the option to have it larger in the post, not just the small thumbnail.

iggyworf

Reaction score
I would have added 2cents last nite, but my comp monitor is freaking out. I do see the champagne glass in the logo but nothing else in the other logo's. On all my bottles, just the swimsuit girl ones have the 'champagne' logo.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and support - maybe I'm not crazy after all.

This is one of the earliest 7up ads I can find, from ...

The Burlington Hawk-Eye ~ Burlington, Iowa ~ December 25, 1931

(I'm confused about the double-click enlargement because it appears in code before submitting and not the image itself)

7up Ad The Burlington Hawk-Eye Iowa Dec 25, 1931 (466x750).jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Oh well your crazy for sure Bob, but so are all of us.:p All I could find is that the logo is referred to as a 'shield'. but your champagne glass sure does fit.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This ad is about three years prior to the introduction of their first acl label, but it suggest that someone was thinking along the same lines as we are ...

From ...

The Woodland Daily Democrat ~ Woodland, California ~ July 23, 1932

7up Glass Woodland Daily Democrat Calif July 23, 1932.jpg

jblaylock

Reaction score
I feel like the Champagne glass is the most likely option. It fits in with the bubbles. Thought on contacting 7up, finding

Also, for the photos, I'm assuming you're attaching them, never mind then. You can enlarge photos from linking a URL.

Not sure if there is anything here, but interesting propaganda anyways:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=995&v=f7wQb1Y4E_M

jblaylock

Reaction score

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Josh:

Great video - I watched it all the way through - twice!

I have been searching for information that might explain the transition from paper label 7up bottles to acls but haven't found anything specific. Its almost as if the acls just showed up on the market one day and that was that without any fanfare. One thing is certain, though, and that's that 7up was primarily advertised as a health drink early on with emphasis as a cure for hangovers, stomach disorders, and slenderizing benefits for women. It wasn't until around 1939 when they finally started focusing their advertising as an everyday soft drink for the entire family. Prior to that it seems the main focus was with booze and its after effects. This booze connection might tie in with my so called 'champagne glass' theory, but if it does, I can not find anything specific to confirm it.

During the course of my searching I found a couple of newspaper ads I had never seen before and thought were interesting. Both ads depict a paper label I've never seen and can't help but wonder if they were ever actually used. At first I thought it might be a local label used by a single bottler, but then discovered the same label was depicted in two different newspapers in two different states. Notice in the second ad that it depicts both the paper label as well as the relatively new acl label.

From ...

1. The Plain Speaker ~ Hazelton, Pennsylvania ` July 31, 1936

2. The Daily Capital News ~ Jefferson City, Missouri ~ December 1, 1937

(Has anyone ever seen one of these paper labels? They look like a predecessor to the 1950s 'shield' label)

7up Glass The Plain Speaker Hazelton Pa July 31, 1936.jpg

7up Glass The Daily Capital News Jeferson City Missouri Dec 1, 1937.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For comparison to the paper labels in the last ad, here is what I'm calling a 'shield label' acl bottle ...

7up Bottle Forum Member McGlass March 2014.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Opps, that was an error acl.

Here's another one, plus the 1936 ad again for side-by-side comparison ...

7up Bottle Shield ACL.jpg

7up Glass The Plain Speaker Hazelton Pa July 31, 1936.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward