Amber, SOLID GLASS, Mount Vernon Whiskey, 3" tall !

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I have been wrong before, I never heard of something like that happening. I am sure it would have to have happened before the advent of the ABM because it would really upset machine production handling. I can't imagine where the extra glass would have come from. I would appreciate some pictures of these types of odd product. It isn't comprehensible in my experiences.
No harm done. Thanks for the comeback. RED Matthews

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I read somewhere that they used to do some solid glass bottles at the start of the day to warm the molds up faster. I forget where I saw that.
I cant see anyway that it could have been done by accident.
I have seen a number of solid bottles found on glass house waste piles.

tigue710

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

I cant see anyway that it could have been done by accident.

You cant see an apprentice or beginner getting just a little to much glass on the punty?

Personally I cant see anyway it didn't happen now and then. These were people, not regulated machines...

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I may not totally understand the process but it seems like the amount of glass needed to totally fill a mold is so much greater than the amount used to blow a bottle that it couldnt possibly be done by accident. It seems like it had to be done on purpose. I am certainly not an expert on the matter, just trying to visualize how it could happen and I'm not seeing it.
I was also under the impression that bottles were pre-blown to a small size before inserting the glass in the mold. If this was true you could never get a solid form.
Its an interesting topic anyway.

... it would probably help a lot to see a photo of one of the bottles in question so we are all talking about the same object...

tigue710

Reaction score
I would think it only happened with small bottles. Just as often as not enough glass was used, which was also a contributor to a large fatality rate when bottles were hand blown. The biggest advance of the automated bottle process was eliminating human error in judgment of the amount of glass used out side of the speed.

baltbottles

Reaction score
I have one of those also I'm not exactly sure what they were made for.

Chris

4D0AA5FA9AEE485B843B8E50695FA614.jpg

Attachments

• 4D0AA5FA9AEE485B843B8E50695FA614.jpg
    4D0AA5FA9AEE485B843B8E50695FA614.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 75

tigue710

Reaction score
huh, seeing it it looks to have been made on purpose in the case of the Mount Vernon. Hard to say for sure though.

Here are some pics of my Hicks Capudine, notice the large flap that was squeezed out of the mold. The top looks like it had air pressed against it, or could have been broken off from the punty at that point. When I acquired this I was told it was an "overload", dug with other slag at spoil pile in New Jersey.

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

GuntherHess

Reaction score
No way that Mt Vernon was an accident. Maybe a souvenir, paper weight, or something , whatever it was it was made on purpose.
That Hicks looks like it might have been done to check the embossing. Seems like something that would be found on the spoils pile. I have seen several items like that. They are pretty cool. Usually they are just local pharmacies, not as interesting as a major patent medicine like yours..

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960