Amber, SOLID GLASS, Mount Vernon Whiskey, 3" tall !

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
I dunno Matt, why waste a big glob of glass to check the embossing? They could have easily just blown a form... Whats interesting about it is that it is not cracked or crazed, so it must have cooled properly... I guess it could of just happened...

GuntherHess

Reaction score
why waste a big glob of glass to check the embossing?

just guessing of course but it may of been more trouble to actually blow a bottle in it to check the embossing? Maybe the mold wasnt vented properly at that point? Maybe using that method gives a better image of the embossing? Just speculating...

appliedlips

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RED Matthews

Well I have been wrong before, I never heard of something like that happening. I am sure it would have to have happened before the advent of the ABM because it would really upset machine production handling. I can't imagine where the extra glass would have come from. I would appreciate some pictures of these types of odd product. It isn't comprehensible in my experiences.
No harm done. Thanks for the comeback. RED Matthews

I have machine made solid pour that was dug from an early 1900's,glass factory workers privy.It's at a friend's house, maybe he'll read this and post a picture.It's a CT soda or beer and looks like the extra weight stretched it out of shape when the machine was pulling it from the mold.There are solid pour fruit jars,insulators,bottles that were accidental.I agree with the others that the Mt. Vernon was intentional as a paperweight.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello again, I haven't stopped thinking about this since your reply to my post regarding a second solid glass bottle. I haven't been able to resolve the needs for doing this without knowing when (date time frame) these bottles were made.

One thought I had was relative to making ABM glassware, when a major machine problem came up, they would slow the flow of the molten glass enough to keep the forehearth from freezing up by maintaining a slow flow of glass out the feeder trough a single hole orifice ring; and let that glass stream down to the level below the machines and into a cullet accumulating water tank; where the water would shatter the glass flow, making it useable as cullet in the batch . I have seen a pre-made ceramic mold swung under the string to fill the special mold with glass. Sort of tricky and dangerous.

If there was justification - an assembly of a two mold halves closed around a bottom plate and topped with a (neckring & guide ring) could have been filled with stringing glass in the same way. Tricky and dangerous. Also I am not certain, of the glass condition cast in this much iron.

It is a glass "bottlemystery" RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello again:
> Re: GuntherHess The checking of the embossing in a mold was checked by clamping the mold around a bottom plate with a chain-clamp tool, and pouring molten sulfer from a melting pot into the closed mold. This procedure was also used to check the release of cavity chiseled lettering when it got too close to the seam to release when the mold opened. The mold makers would often lay a mold they were engraving - open on a bench and pour molten sulfur over their work to make sure the features were correct and the objective illustration or trademark was correct and sharp enough. This practice was used for nearly 100 years in mold shops.

> Re: capsoda The seasoning of cast iron was different than anything I ever saw or learned of in metallurgy or in the foundry at Gleason Works where I had worked. When the castings came to the mold shop from the foundry - they had already been annealed. When I went for a work interview at Thatcher Glass I was given a tour of their mold shop. In the front yard castings when delivered were thrown into a sloppy lime pit were they stayed for a week maybe. They were hoed out of the and placed on wooden racks, where they were weathered, rusted and seasoned until it was time to machine them. When production needed them - they were brought in for machining.
I told the shop manager that was taking me through the shop that this was never any part of my metallurgy schooling. don't think this practice did any good as seasoning.

I just learned another Don't do! in this Forum - don't post if you take too long to write your information which I did and lost it. RED Matthews

Shagnasty

Reaction score
hey doug here ya go

9F922528ACFE486BBEDDBF64F27B6912.jpg

Attachments

• 9F922528ACFE486BBEDDBF64F27B6912.jpg
    9F922528ACFE486BBEDDBF64F27B6912.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 64

Shagnasty

Reaction score
the lip and neck are open but the body is solid

7A989FF2E4FF4463A87C989E703FC363.jpg

Attachments

• 7A989FF2E4FF4463A87C989E703FC363.jpg
    7A989FF2E4FF4463A87C989E703FC363.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 74

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well that crown finish bottle has the seam on the finish in line with the seam on the bottle, so it must have been loaded with excess glass on an ABM. Fantastic - I will have to check this out some more with some of my friends who I worked with. How tall is this bottle. It looks like it was at least 10" tall. It is quite logical that the transfer from the blank (parison) mold to the blow mold was not done on an IS (Individual Section) Machine. It had to be done on a machine like the Owens or one which did not flip it over from an inverted blank loading side to the final blow side of the machine. The swing of this heavy of a bottle form would have laid the glass over the outside of the mold.
Because of the length of this form the parison had to be transferred in the upringht vertical swing. As hot as the glass was the hanging form would have to have gravity making it longer. Then it becomes a bigger mystery because the mold had to close around it.
The next question is what does the bottom look like? The mark on the side toward the shoulder indicates that it contacted something in the transfer.
Thanks a bunch for letting us see the pictures.
RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles