Amber Union Calabash Flask Clasped Eagle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

woody

Reaction score
Julie, "Don't feed the deer". They are wild animals and the consequences of feeding them is detrimental to their survival.

Research has discovered that even deer feeding on nothing but grain lose weight during the winter. Even captive deer that have access to as much high-quality food as they want still reduce the amount of food they eat beginning in November, and they continue to lose body fat through February.
That’s because deer have evolved a survival strategy that involves eating as much food as they can in autumn, to put on as much fat as possible before winter. Once winter comes, instinct tells deer to eat less, move around less, and seek the protection of winter cover.

Research has also shown that large, dominant adult deer fill their bellies first at feeding sites, which means that smaller and weaker individuals, including the vulnerable fawns, will have wasted valuable energy traveling to the feeding site, where they may get little feed. Over time, feeding sites attract more and more deer competing for the same food supplies, which can lead to over-browsing and degradation of the natural habitat around a feeding site, as well as wreaking havoc on homeowners’ ornamental plantings.

towhead

Reaction score
Thanks Woody. I know you are right. But anyway, they all get their own piles of alfalfa and deer mix . So nobody here is starving. They are all fat. I always say I'm not gonna feed them, waited til the end of January this year. But then, there they are, eating the bird seed that falls to the ground and looking in the windows[:(] and the snow was up to their waists. They don't ever eat my flowers....I am on 160 acres with a cedar swamp out back too-which they eat. Come spring I'm back down to a family or two. My neighbor through the woods also feeds them (I think they just go back and forth all day).

-Julie

towhead

Reaction score
Woody, the fawns always eat with the mother....unless it is an orphan. I have one orphan, and he gets his pile behind the snowbank next to the garage, because the other deer don't like being near the garage. They are already starting to go back "home", I had 45 in February.

-Julie

woody

Reaction score
OK, Julie. You'll have to let me know when deer hunting season is so I can harvest a nice buck on your property.[:D]
I'll camp out in your backyard and wait for a nice fat one to come along.[;)]
First time I ever deer hunted was in Duluth circa 1967.

towhead

Reaction score
You are certainly welcome to try....1st 3 weekends in November. Good Luck, the deer have a habit of disappearing when strangers come around. I'm usually the only one who sees the big ones....guess maybe I should start hunting, huh?

-Julie

justanolddigger

Reaction score
I look forward to it on ebay, I was uncomfortable offering on this forum, seems most just wanted a deal. I didn't really know its true worth, and I'd hate to lowball someone. I think it will do extremely well, much more money than I hear being offered here, but I will watch
Bill

bottle_head9

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: justanolddigger

I look forward to it on ebay, I was uncomfortable offering on this forum, seems most just wanted a deal. I didn't really know its true worth, and I'd hate to lowball someone. I think it will do extremely well, much more money than I hear being offered here, but I will watch
Bill
Ya, hate to get a deal.Do you think the person who found it will go back to where he bought it for $17.50 and give some money back after it sells.I don`t think so.There is nothing wrong with the price that was offered.She didn`t accept it.Actually the bottle was offered to me last night for $175.00, which I still think is a deal, but I didn`t buy it.I`m sure the bottle will go between $225.00 and $275.00 on ebay.I didn`t lowball her,I didn`t want to pay more than $150.00 for the bottle.End of story.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson