Antique? Older than 50 years old?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
All that and plus some of these laws are more than 50 years old. I do believe there is still a law against walking your livestock on Sunday in a Massachusetts town. It was from the 1700's and I think they left it there for a touch of humor.[:D]

epgorge

Reaction score
cowseatmaize said:
I browsed a little and New York is actually 50 years according the the STATE MUSEUM.Oregon is 75 years but the government site there.Of coarse things from a archeological dig site and state land are different.New York.The legislation generally describes the protected resources as "any object of archeological or paleontological interest." In general, objects deposited on state lands that are less than 50 years old are not considered to be of "archeological interest." However, there may be specific collecting policies that prevent the removal of such objects of even relatively recent vintage (such as in State Parks or State Historic Sites).......... Crown was huge and went way outside SF and LA but it may be Calif. I had to many links for them so I stopped looking..
Hey Eric, Good to hear from you. Long time. All of this kind of hits right to the heart of what we do, eh? My in-laws come from Carlisle, MA and that town has rules on digging, in general. There is value in what we do and in many cases, in the past, there were diggers here who were putting out incriminating threads about digging in the night in municipalities, as Public Works people. I always wondered about the legality and if they would someday be held accountable for what really, is a just hobby to many. Treasure hunting! I have dug many old farms and privies but with permission. I also have been refused when asking to dig. For some, I suppose, it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.

glass man

Reaction score
VINEGAR..1920's-30's..have seen so very very many from our town dump that is of that age ..been digging there since 1974...JAMIE

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi Joel.I think for the most part the laws are flawed. I can still walk many back roads and find discarded 60's beer bottles and stuff, probably thrown from a car window. I don't think they hold any historical interest except people were litter bugs, which we know.Maybe when the laws are written for something like "50 years" and passed in the 60's they should state "from time of law passage". 1910's might still have some clues for the archeologist, depending on the area. Ghost towns for example. Oh, and to the officer. If your trying to prosecute one of those jackass diggers from a "reality" show, go for it. I can't stand the majority of those shows. I saw one where they used dynamite and and ran around screaming. I had to change the channel.

cbeehner

Reaction score
I'm unable to post pics of the bottle at this time, due to it being processed for evidence. There are two seems that go down the length of the bottle and from what I remember they go through the bottle cap twists. The laws are written with the intent to prosecute those who steal items of historical interests for the state, and as a State Peace Officer I will enforce those laws. I happen to work for the state of California and per Title 14 CCR 4308 - it states no one shall remove items from a archaeological area. And department heads and the district attorney, have stated anything older than 50 years is deemed historical and therefore archaeological per CCR 4308. I would really like to find out some more information on the dating of this bottle if possible. Thanks to all who have given me the information thus far.

2find4me

Reaction score
It is a shame that some diggers are not responsible enough to ask for permission to dig, no matter if it is a 1860 Soda or a 1998 Coke.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
I guess the cops quit hassling people in California over pot.......................now to fill all their time they bust people over worthless bottles. "..I will enforce those laws................", did not we hear something like that at Nuremberg. Scary huh? Cops.

epackage

Reaction score
cbeehner said:
I'm unable to post pics of the bottle at this time, due to it being processed for evidence. There are two seems that go down the length of the bottle and from what I remember they go through the bottle cap twists. The laws are written with the intent to prosecute those who steal items of historical interests for the state, and as a State Peace Officer I will enforce those laws. I happen to work for the state of California and per Title 14 CCR 4308 - it states no one shall remove items from a archaeological area. And department heads and the district attorney, have stated anything older than 50 years is deemed historical and therefore archaeological per CCR 4308. I would really like to find out some more information on the dating of this bottle if possible. Thanks to all who have given me the information thus far.
The bottle is 49 years old, I've been asked to be nice so I'll say no more...

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie