Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

BABY KILLER?

Flasks

Feb 20, 2020
Mrs Winslow's soothing syrup goes back to the late 1860's. She was a great entrepreneur and spent a lot of her time in the small oil towns (after the discovery of oil in Titusville, Pa.) that lined Oil Creek Valley. It's main ingredients were extracts, grain alcohol, flavoring and cocaine. If you should ever visit the famous "Pithole Museum" near Titusville, Pa. you will see where she signed in the guest book on display at the museum. Various towns where these vial style bottles have been found are: Miller Farm, Shaffer Farm, Tarr Farm, Petroleum Center, Rynd Farms. It was customary at this time to use the word "farm" rather than "ville, ton, etc. etc.". These are considered common in this area of Northwestern Pa. I doubt that any babies died from the use of this compound as instructions were to rub the babies gums with a small amount, do not feed the baby or child as a liquid.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Jun 14, 2014
Locō movērī
It didn't kill babies. Parents administrating large doses past the manufacturer's reccomendations killed the babies. The same thing happens if you give them too much water. Hence the expression, "Everything in moderation."

Flasks

Feb 20, 2020
I know they've been found nationwide. It was a very popular med.
Your 100% correct and also found from the same time frame is another vial style, almost identical to the Winslows bottle, is one marked "Cocaine"...nothing else but that word. I've dug several of both of those type. Before hard drugs became an epidemic and were governmental controlled many medicinals and some sodas contained a hard drug....even Coca Cola! Bitters bottles, pre and post Civil War, primary ingredient was grain alcohol...as high as 60%.

Dewfus

Bottle digger extrodiner
Nov 30, 2019
Ligonier,Indiana
Your 100% correct and also found from the same time frame is another vial style, almost identical to the Winslows bottle, is one marked "Cocaine"...nothing else but that word. I've dug several of both of those type. Before hard drugs became an epidemic and were governmental controlled many medicinals and some sodas contained a hard drug....even Coca Cola! Bitters bottles, pre and post Civil War, primary ingredient was grain alcohol...as high as 60%.
Awsome stuff thank you I love the history of bottles

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bttrluvr