Killer 1870's Beer Bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
The crown closure was patented February 2, 1892 (U.S. Patent 468,258). I agree the closure didn't attain wide use until after the introduction of the Owens automatic bottling process in 1903. That would suggest the examples I used of late squat/porter bottles could date to the turn of the century. The use of the large round slug plate used on the bottle featured in this article I've noticed is rarely found on bottles before 1880. The question concerns dating the bottle accurately? Slug plates were used before 1880, starting in the mid to late 1850s judging from bottles in my collection which can be accurately dated. But the early slug plates were square or rectangular not round. I suggest this guys bottle dates to the 1880s.

If the Ziem doesn't convince you round slugplates were used in 1870's then maybe these 2 example will. pictured here are 2 1870's Bottle, the rare early first Kling from Peninsular Brewery & a rare early Martz Bros. with round slug plate I'll point out. The Kling even looks ancient prehistoric. Both of these bottles have the very early Makers Mark of C&I. Which was only used in 1860's & 1870's as can be seen below. Leon.

KlingMarttz1870s.JPG
KlingMartz1870sBottoms.JPG
MakersMarksC.JPG

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
If you read this post on my Ziem Bottle I found you'll notice it has a round slug plate with small lettering. The Makers Mark of DSG Co. was used from 1878-1883. (first post top of page 2) a Doyles Hop Bitters was found in hole with it. Leon.

Example of a bottle which may date to the late 1870s with round slug plate. Tthe "pony" style was used for a long time and doesn't necessarily suggest a particular time period. The embossing is small letters of a type I have noticed on early 1880s bottles. Hops Bitters is a fairly common bottle found in all kinds of dumps.

Attachments

• French.jpg
    French.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 64

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
If the Ziem doesn't convince you round slugplates were used in 1870's then maybe these 2 example will. pictured here are 2 1870's Bottle, the rare early first Kling from Peninsular Brewery & a rare early Martz Bros. with round slug plate I'll point out. The Kling even looks ancient prehistoric. Both of these bottles have the very early Makers Mark of C&I. Which was only used in 1860's & 1870's as can be seen below. Leon.

View attachment 250022View attachment 250023View attachment 250024
Without seeing the bottle I would date the Kling & Co to before 1880. The other bottle I'd have my doubts though 1878 could be close enough? For various and often unknown reasons the style or manufactring techniques of bottles changed abruptly, like 1860, 1880. 1860 pontil marks end, After 1880 beer and soda bottles became larger, the 9 inch champagne beer bottle generally replaced the previous 7 inch bottles, quart bottles become common and more beers were amber glass, emerald green bottles lose popularity. We may never know the reasons behind these trends?

hemihampton

Reaction score
This guy in here Ted, is calling his small letter round slug plate 1875. I disagreed but not because it has the round slug plate. Link below.

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
This guy in here Ted, is calling his small letter round slug plate 1875. I disagreed but not because it has the round slug plate. Link below.

After 40 years collecting and thousands of bottles I can think of numerous reasons to disagree witht the 1875 date.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I'm guessing # 1 reason is round slugplate?

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
That's a big part of it, also a quart size would be unusual for an 1870s beer. The fact the company started in the 1870s means nothing. Apparently they were successful. I simply reply on 40 + years experience trying to sort out such issues, also a certain amount of instinct and intuition. I don't mind being wrong, a person can learn more from being wrong than otherwise. I get no satisfaction from disagreeing with someone but sometimes it happens and becomes a learning experience for all involved.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've seen many 1870's Quart Beers seen in Quart size only with no smaller pint variation's known. Some with round slug plates also. Sorry I'm going to half to disagree with you. I like to see facts & documentation, instint & intuition proves nothing. Just my opinion, I'm sure others may vary. Leon.

Reactions: Roy

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
OK, I got good news & bad news. it was a collection of many stuff at the sale. it was a 3 day Auction. I was there early the 1st day & did not see it so figured someone bought it. BUT, Then come the 3rd & last day I see it. amazed hundreds of people left it after 2 days. Guess they figured the $50 price was to much. SO, on the 3rd day after everybody rejected this fine Gem, I scooped it up with the 3rd day 50% or half off sale. stole it for $25. Probably a $500+ Bottle if mint. BUT, I assume the reason left behind was because not mint & has damage. ends up the very bottom is missing but still stands up straight. Still easily worth more then $25 in my opinion. Maybe I'll try to add a new bottom? Leon.
Nice find Leon. Congrats. I have a bottle not unlike yours that needs the same kind of restoration. Everything is there and in fine shape except the base. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY PROFESSIONALS THAT DO THIS? Thanks. --CT Len

hemihampton

Reaction score
Nice find Leon. Congrats. I have a bottle not unlike yours that needs the same kind of restoration. Everything is there and in fine shape except the base. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY PROFESSIONALS THAT DO THIS? Thanks. --CT Len
There is a pro in Florida, forgot his name though. he charges a minimum of $150 I think. Leon.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen