Killer 1870's Beer Bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Are you saying that the broken A. Biewers you dug in the pit was a different mold variety than this most recent acquisition? Anyway it's good that you managed to obtain an intact one shortly afterwards, if it were me then knowing the bottom was in that hole would gnaw at and distract me endlessly until that better example came along or I broke down and dug it back up. Similar thing with wanting to finish a dig even if it has been unproductive and seems like it won't be worth the effort; the mental energy spent afterwards wondering about what *could* be down there can be more draining than the physical effort of just finishing it up and knowing for certain, then you can devote your full attention to the next adventure.

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
Are you saying that the broken A. Biewers you dug in the pit was a different mold variety than this most recent acquisition? Anyway it's good that you managed to obtain an intact one shortly afterwards, if it were me then knowing the bottom was in that hole would gnaw at and distract me endlessly until that better example came along or I broke down and dug it back up. Similar thing with wanting to finish a dig even if it has been unproductive and seems like it won't be worth the effort; the mental energy spent afterwards wondering about what *could* be down there can be more draining than the physical effort of just finishing it up and knowing for certain, then you can devote your full attention to the next adventure.
Not a style used during the 1870s. My educated guess would be mid to late 1880s for that bottle.

hemihampton

Reaction score
2 things I noticed on 1870's bottles & one matches this bottle. it matches some of my other 1870's bottles (like Duncan Central, ect.) The small writing is one thing another thing you'll see on 1870's Michigan Bottles is the Mich off to the side if non slugplate. Also he started his Clinton River Brewery in 1873. I got maybe 15 different A. Biewers Bottles dating from 1870's to 19teens. It doesn't have a bottom so don't know the makers mark but could ask the other 2 guys that own one. Here's some info below. 1880's directory just call it A. Biewers Brewery. Leon.

ClintonRiverBrewery.JPG

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
d2 things I noticed on 1870's bottles & one matches this bottle. it matches some of my other 1870's bottles (like Duncan Central, ect.) The small writing is one thing another thing you'll see on 1870's Michigan Bottles is the Mich off to the side if non slugplate. Also he started his Clinton River Brewery in 1873. I got maybe 15 different A. Biewers Bottles dating from 1870's to 19teens. It doesn't have a bottom so don't know the makers mark but could ask the other 2 guys that own one. Here's some info below. 1880's directory just call it A. Biewers Brewery. Leon.

View attachment 250008
I've put a lot of effort into dating bottles in my collection. When I began to find those squat/porter bottles from bottlers of the 1890s, even early 1900s they definitely caught my attention because they defied conventional dating. See attached examples from my collection. Note the crown top was not introduced until the early 1890s. Those were made in crown and blob top versions.

Attachments

• RedBank.JPG
    RedBank.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 49

hemihampton

Reaction score
squat/porter bottles a little off subject from my bottle. as for Crown tops I think lots of people make the mistake crown tops were made in 1892 since Mr. Painter Patented it then. BUT, nobody knows of any that exist from early 1890's & earliest ad or dated crowntop I think that are known was from 1896 or around there. by late 1890's there was some crown tops around but not many in use. my 1903 Owens Illinois Catalog still shows lots of blobs for sale & not that many crown tops advertised. the crown top production really took off after the owens illinois ABM was invented in 1903.

hemihampton

Reaction score

Plumbata, Yes, the A. Biewers was a different mold variety then my most recent acquisition. I took a pic here to show the 3 bottles side by side. This A. Biewers may be a 1880's Bottle. No Baltimore loop. Leon.
Biewers3Blobs.JPG

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
squat/porter bottles a little off subject from my bottle. as for Crown tops I think lots of people make the mistake crown tops were made in 1892 since Mr. Painter Patented it then. BUT, nobody knows of any that exist from early 1890's & earliest ad or dated crowntop I think that are known was from 1896 or around there. by late 1890's there was some crown tops around but not many in use. my 1903 Owens Illinois Catalog still shows lots of blobs for sale & not that many crown tops advertised. the crown top production really took off after the owens illinois ABM was invented in 1903.
The crown closure was patented February 2, 1892 (U.S. Patent 468,258). I agree the closure didn't attain wide use until after the introduction of the Owens automatic bottling process in 1903. That would suggest the examples I used of late squat/porter bottles could date to the turn of the century. The use of the large round slug plate used on the bottle featured in this article I've noticed is rarely found on bottles before 1880. The question concerns dating the bottle accurately? Slug plates were used before 1880, starting in the mid to late 1850s judging from bottles in my collection which can be accurately dated. But the early slug plates were square or rectangular not round. I suggest this guys bottle dates to the 1880s.

hemihampton

Reaction score
If you read this post on my Ziem Bottle I found you'll notice it has a round slug plate with small lettering. The Makers Mark of DSG Co. was used from 1878-1883. (first post top of page 2) a Doyles Hop Bitters was found in hole with it. Leon.

woods_walker

Reaction score
If you read this post on my Ziem Bottle I found you'll notice it has a round slug plate with small lettering. The Makers Mark of DSG Co. was used from 1878-1883. a Doyles Hop Bitters was found in hole with it. Leon.

Still one of my favorite bottles you’ve posted on here. Now if only we could find a ziem bros from Alpena…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hemihampton

Reaction score
Still one of my favorite bottles you’ve posted on here. Now if only we could find a ziem bros from Alpena…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, Now only if I could find one from Oscoda . Alpena would be nice also. Leon.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen