BAM Auctions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Hey Chris! Hope that you are well. Yep, that was once ours and as you know, it is a good one. Glad to see that has a proper home!

Jeff

tigue710

Reaction score
I had bad experiences with BAM. I've always thought that Rod was a great guy but more often then not bottles I received were not as described. I took some major losses with him even though he did always take back anything I thought was not well described. I got sick of it after a while though. Auction after auction I recieved bottles that had significant unmentioned damage or worse then mentioned damage. One time I bought an olive green pinetree tar cordial and a teal one showed up. Funny thing is that it was the same bottle in the photo, but the color had been tampered with. Finnaly I told him to pay more attention to his bottldes and not to solicite my buisness anymore...

You can get luckly and pick up a nice bottle cheap because no one will bid with him sometimes but your taking a BIG risk...

phil44

Reaction score
BAM actually had it going for a minute. Seemed like he really was going to challenge Glassworks as a first class altenative. He blew it. Not only were the the things I purchased horribly described but it took forever to recieve them.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
To Wilkie, The term is irradiated, I think. It amounts to a little atomic sterilizer unit, I think. I know of one eBay seller that does this to a lot of bottles for the color change effect. It makes the glass color somewhere between SCA and cobalt. I don't like the results - I think this is ok for people that like fancy colors - but it is fraud in my bottle book and I haven't yet found any glass batch material that contributes to the change.
RED Matthews

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

I just received the item I bought in the last GlassWorks auction. They shipped it the same day I paid. Very well packed and insured. Item was as described and pictured. No surprises. I think I paid a premium price but they have yet to disappoint me. I will buy again.
Running an auction isnt rocket science, people just need to be professionals.
GOT TO SAY GLASSWORKS IS THE BEST TO ME,THEY USUALLY SAY IF A BOTTLE HAS BEEN CLEANED OR NOT ,I WOULD NOT DO THIS FOR MOST AUCTION PLACES ,BUT IF GLASS WORKS SENT OUT A BOTTLE THAT WAS CLEANED AND DID NOT MENTION IT I WOULD GUESS IT WAS AN OVERSIGHT. I WOULD LET JIM KNOW NON THE LESS. WISH THERE WAS A AUCTION HOUSE FOR LOWER END BOTTLES $30 UP. COURSE I KNOW THEY IS EBAY BUT STILL..... GUESS IT WOULD BE MORE TROUBLE THAN IT WOULD BE WORTH THOUGH.

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
sorry to repeat myself.............. i was a bottle collector in the late 70's early 80's, then drifted off into married life and parenthood. by the mid 80's i was into sportscards/memorabilia ( you know how we are ). after 25+ years of that hobby, I"m back. ( you should see the boxes of stuff in my basement )

what this hobby is crying for, in MHO, is an alternative to ebay that includes a grading sytem. it's one thing to buy $25 -$100 items and roll the dice, but the confidence level for me is always low. wouldn't it be much better, especially on the medium - high dollar stuff to have the confidence that a third party professional graded the bottle?? i've spoken to a couple locals about this and they talk about the high costs of software and the fact that it's been tried before. Ebay's policy changes seem to be making this option more realistic.

there are several grading systems used in sportscard grading, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. that said, you have a pretty good idea what you're buying regardless of the grading system. grading can cost as little as $5. i'm sure this has been discussed before, but it's something that's time will come.

464EB7A7987047928E7F7CD43D648DAC.jpg

Attachments

• 464EB7A7987047928E7F7CD43D648DAC.jpg
    464EB7A7987047928E7F7CD43D648DAC.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 80

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I dont think you could do a simple grading scale for bottles like you do for things like stamps or coins. Simple terms like good or extra fine would be hard to assign. A specific description seems to work better. The idea of a 3rd party grader (describer) is interesting though. One thing I would like to see is more standardization of color description. Jar and insulator collectors already seem to be using the color slide spectrum reference numbers some. That system lets you know the precise color of items since photos are often missleading.

casperwhiskey

Reaction score
I have never bought anything from Rod but have sold him some bottles he put in his auction. I have had great experiences from American Bottle auctions in Californication. Glass Works is also great, Jim sold a flask for me in 2003 and it did well. All my purchases have always been good itemsand as described. I have only had one bad experience on ebay since 1998 and have 415 100% feedbacks. Where color is an issue it's always better to see an item in person if possible especially when big bucks are involved.
David

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
this grading outfit is out of NJ. they are often seen grading at east coast shows. this service tends to draw people to shows to utilize the grading service without postage and insurance costs. SGC uses a 0 - 100 scale.

486F3B4083844D76AA5CDDAC281B7651.jpg

Attachments

• 486F3B4083844D76AA5CDDAC281B7651.jpg
    486F3B4083844D76AA5CDDAC281B7651.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 91

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member