BAM Auctions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
this system ( Beckett ) would seem to be the best guide for bottle collecting. they use the 0 - 10 scale ( which includes .5 grades......... i.e. 7.5, 8.5 ). what makes this attractive for us is their subgrades. this would seem to work for us. for cards it is centering, surface, corners and surface. these subgrades are averaged for the final number grade. i can see a variation of this working for old glass. ok folks. thanx for letting me ramble.................

jim

695D77402D58476F84527E042F5DD448.jpg

Attachments

• 695D77402D58476F84527E042F5DD448.jpg
    695D77402D58476F84527E042F5DD448.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 85

mannequinreject

Reaction score
A standardized color chart would be fantastic. Not only are pictures misleading but some colors just don't photograph well. And it's hard to tell if one person's idea of citron is the same as another's. And then there are variations in colors, like different cokes manufactured in different places. What a nightmare! For some reason it's easier to figure out color with sea glass than the bottles.[8|]

baltbottles

Reaction score
My question is how can you have a standard grade of a piece of glass. Coins, cards and the such get encapsulated to keep them in the condition that the grader found them to be in. I doubt bottle collectors want bottles in acrylic enclosures to protect them from further wear or damage.

Even if a certificate of some kind is made for the bottle what prevents a seller from having a mint example graded then sell a less then perfect example with the certificate of the mint example. And it comes down to one persons mint is not another’s idea of mint. I don't believe any type of Bottle grading number based system will ever become popular.

I say always try to examine the piece yourself before buying and if that's not possible try to buy from someone you trust with a good return policy. Otherwise you are taking a gamble on what you get. And simple as it is if you can't afford to loose don't gamble.

Chris

GuntherHess

Reaction score
how can you have a standard grade of a piece of glass

I dont think you really can. You would basically have a third party opinion, an appraisal, which is nothing really new in the antiques trade.
You can have a standardization of colors though.

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
of the three grading systems, i think the best application for us would be the one utilizing the 4 subgrades. i'm not sure what those subgrades would be, but perhaps thinks like scarcity, surface ( chips, open bubbles, strength of strike, etc. ), color....... who knows. i'm sure you guys would be better at coming up with ideas. the point is establishing confidence in mind of the buyer. i'm not all that familiar with buying activity but it seems there are very few options ( honest and/or well run auction houses ) to buy with confidence outside being at a show and holding the piece in hand.

i thought about laser etching a serial # on the bottom of bottles to verify them.

i'm just bringing this up as a discussion topic. thanx to all for letting me ramble.

jim

BottlesandMore

Reaction score
What is the matter Dan. Don't want to pay for your goods, but have time to play on this site I see.

BottlesandMore

Reaction score
You did not like the item, and were offered a refund. Too much time on your hands, I suppose that you have to air your problems on this site.

justanolddigger

Reaction score
Thanks Lobeycat, you stated it exactly as it should be said. I would love to hear an honest reply from BAM about the condition of the bottle, now that he has recognized this. Also, look at my original post, it was a question if I was too picky or if in fact BAM was underdescribing bottles. The responses made me feel much better, that this was not a fault of mine, but a lacking on the part of BAM. I also cannot believe that I am being personally attacked in the forums by a so called Professional Businessman, sure would make anyone think "why would I want to deal with this guy?"

annie44

Reaction score
I tend to agree. I was quite surprised by the sarcastic comments that were posted, instead of a simple explanation. I am sure it is difficult to run an auction site, and mistakes can be made by anyone, but one does expect a certain level of professionalism when dealing with the person in charge.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen