Boericke what?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dcoffin5

Reaction score
I came across this at an antique shop today. I wasn't sure what to make of it, so I took this photo. The only thing embossed was BOERICKE down the side. Searched online: company founded 1853, still exists in some form today. I see several bottles for this pharma/chemist on this site & elsewhere, but nothing that looks like this one. And it doesn't have the partner's name, just Mr. Boericke.

I don't have any bottle yet with this type of applied lip. You could really feel the way it was added to the neck of the bottle. The antique lady was asking $9 for it. I'm pretty sure I can talk her down to $6 or maybe even $5. Just looking for a bit of addt'l info about his bottle if anybody knows this one. Thanks!

93E08EAFA9074BEABFCC0C24BFA994E5.jpg

Attachments

• 93E08EAFA9074BEABFCC0C24BFA994E5.jpg
    93E08EAFA9074BEABFCC0C24BFA994E5.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 55

dcoffin5

Reaction score
thanks for the input G!
i may bo back for it...

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I agree 9 bucks is a good price.. and it's a nice one.. I wonder if it's an early milk??

Lordbud

Reaction score
Considering the size of this Boericke and the fact that homeopathic medicines were given in tiny doses this would likely be a dispensary bottle used to dole out small amounts of medicine into smaller bottles.

botlguy

Reaction score
The mouth / finish reminds me of a "Dr. WALKER'S VINEGAR BITTERS" a Western bottle. Have you ever seen a fairly complete collection of these? They come in some GREAT colors though most are aqua. This one looks like a medicine of some type, perhaps BITTERS, although I don't find it listed in any of my BITTERS referrence books. Nice piece!

Lordbud

Reaction score
Boericke had three partners over the years:
Boericke & Schreck
Boericke & Tafel
Boericke & Runyon
All three of these partnerships operated out of San Francisco although Boericke was based in New York originally.
This link provides some company history:
http://julianwinston.com/archives/bt/bt_history.php

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Boericke & Tafel
had a branch in Baltimore at different or the same times on Howard and/or West Fayette Sts. I have found the little square bottles a lot. According to your excellent link, Baltimore as a branch ceased in 1919.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday