Cleaning a Sick Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

suzanne

Reaction score
So how do you obtain them?
Do you just go out and pull them out of the mud or do you have to muck about in it and dig them up?
They are really cool bottles actually. I wish I could find some like that around here. Your bottles look
different than Iowa bottles.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
The best way was to wait until low tide was nearing, and armed with a tall pair of rubber boots and a shovel, just poke around in the muck until I felt the "ping" of glass, then start scooping around to dislodge what was there.. it was actually very difficult, but i was young.. this was the trash from some 1880-1910 era hotels which, according to my observations, was loaded into wooden barrels and rolled into the river.. I knew when I found barrel planks that the bottles were nigh.. man, I miss that spot, but I spent 2 years working on it until even at dead low tide, it was all underwater.

suzanne

Reaction score
Very cool. I can just picture you out there like I was right there.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
You say the bottles you find in Ioway are different.. what kinds do you get there? I would love to see pics of your collection!

suzanne

Reaction score
Maybe sometime I'll post a picture of my bottle tanning bed! In it the bottles turn purple in the sun. Iowa has lots of hutchinsons, pony's, and giant
amber blob top beers. Illinois, too. I live right on the border by the Mississipi River. Did I spell that right?
I don't know. Well, I have to go drink some beer. I'll be back next week maybe.
'

suzanne

Reaction score
reply to guntherhess:

I wish to apologize for the heavy handed way I stated my opinion. I have enjoyed reading your posts over
the last year and wish to be freinds but my big mouth gets in the way.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
reply to guntherhess:

I wish to apologize for the heavy handed way I stated my opinion. I have enjoyed reading your posts over
the last year and wish to be freinds but my big mouth gets in the way.

You have no need to apologize to me. I may not agree with everything you post but I take no offense from it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2