Cleaning a Sick Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

T D

Reaction score
A bottle appears sick. I get rid of the sickness. Sometimes there
will be glass detioriation under the sickness. I get rid of that, too.

If someone that has bought the book will confirm this, I would love to hear it. Until then, once again IN MY OPINION, this is impossible to do without having a perminant haziness...

T D

Reaction score
sorry I'm doing what I asked us not to do...just and arguer (sp?) by nature

appliedlips

Reaction score
Sickness is deteriorated glass. I am not sure if you are stating that you do not have to remove the damaged layer of glass.If so it is the equivalent of arguing the sun isn't hot. You can either remove some and then polish the new surface or remove glass with acids. If you can do it your way great but if a sick and worn bottle can't easily be remedied I don't see the point. If Charlie wants to have that inside etching removed I'd be happy to pay to have it done for him. It will take my cleaning guy a few minutes on two occasions to remove and then seat in the stopples again between steps.

suzanne

Reaction score
That would not be an accurate test as I already improved the bottle vastly. An accurate way to test would be
for him to send a bottle that had not had any previous work done, that is in really bad condition like the one he
sent me, and see if it can be fixed without making embossing fade out. And also post before-afters. Then I
would be convinced. If someone can do this then maybe I will actually go out and finish building my own
tumbler that has been collecting dust.

justanolddigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: T D

PLEASE YA'LL!!! Don't start this DOGCRAP on another thread!

You stated it well Tom. I think we should just get back to the question RedGinger asked, how to clean a bottle. Reading the thread, I felt she was being given a lot of good advice, everyone has their own way, all ok in one way or another, and mostly personal preference. The thread went wrong when someone came on and told others how wrong they were, and then we got sucked into it, and that is just what that someone wanted. I hope Redginger had her question answered and tries some of the methods, I feel most of them will greatly improve a common bottle.
Bill

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Well, I have an endless supply of really sick blobs just like that one, and the one before that one, and I'm happy to provide the material to anyone who wants to prove their skill, as long as I get the bottle back and some good before and after pics are posted..

suzanne

Reaction score
When I said if a bottle appears sick I get rid the sickness
I wasn't talking about acid. The original book doesn't
cover the topic of hydrofluoric acid. Charlie has some bottles that are seriously bad on the inside. Acid
removes the sickness but not any glass rot that happens to be underneath and Charlie's bottles are extensively
rotted which ends up looking like haze. Of the approximately 20 bottles I used acid on they all improved. A few
had some spots of glass detiorioration under the sickness which I subsequently removed and now they
all look great . NEVER USE ACID PRODUCTS ON OUTSIDE OF BOTTLE. I don't know where
Charlie is getting those bottles. The ones I dig up in Iowa don't have a lot of plaque like sickness in them
like his do.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
New Jersey, Suze!! Sickness capital of the USA!![;)]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Just answering your question.. to elaborate further, these bottles came from a mucky river bank, heavily polluted with all kinds of other crap.. batteries, and such.. not a living thing in that river any more..
..I see you weren't asking me that question.. but anyway..

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie