Final dig before the spring

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deenodean

Reaction score
Went back to a dump that we'd been diggin' since May, it is stingy but continues to offer a few surprises. It will be our last dig of the season since the frost was 6" thick , I am afraid that surface bottles ( if any ) will break on impact. Here are a few morsels we got. 1st the criers...

Shaker Fluid, Extract Valerian
ShakerFluid_zps9b20f9ef.jpg

The bottom piece of a colbolt cone ink from Carters 1897, made in the U.S.A.
Carters1897coboltblueconeink_zpsb42265df.jpg

Eagars Wine of Rennet, Halifax N.S. , a variant I don't have.
IMG_0063_zps40823431.jpg

A beautiful dark cornflower blue jar of some sort..the dark piece embossed ...eadenh...with LON(don)? on the bottom..anyone know what this is?
IMG_0069_zps3db25b56.jpg

1st bottle of the day..
MaltineChemistsNewYork_zps72badc52.jpg

It is a Maltine Chemist New York
TheMaltineMFGCoChemistsNewYork_zps8f84e04e.jpg

Found this thing that looked like a hand granade.
Lookslikeahandgranade_zps7d4ae0d7.jpg

deenodean

Reaction score
I took it apart..it is an ink bottle encased in metal..
Itsanink_zps7ae12a7d.jpg

I took it home and pried the metal off it...it is a dropper type ink well..the glass on the bottom of the dropper is shaped like a J with a very tiny suction portal in it. ..another surprise, after over 100 years in the ground some of the paper label was still on the ink bottle..I let it dry, then cleaned some of the calcification of the ink bottle and stopper. The label that is readable say's Carters ' ...ain Pen ...U.S.A. ...any info on this style of ink well very much appreciated as I will print it off and save it for reference.
Jshapeddropper_zps61e60cb2.jpg

IMG_0059_zpsb37fc570.jpg

The overhang that is frozen... See you all next year with more diggin' stories..hope to get some time in to scout for new dumps..thanks for looking..
Theoverhangisfrozen_zps54f8a530.jpg

tigue710

Reaction score
lotta rocks to contend with in that dump! I deal with a lot of that here as the miners threw away a lot of rock with their trash, or maybe a little trash with their rock?!

Neat carters ink

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
The blue jar was a salt jar.

It would have been embossed " Fine Table Salt / From / J T Morton / Leadenhall Street / London". They are known in two or three different sizes and are beautiful things in good condition. Not rare, but not common either.

deenodean

Reaction score
Thanks Tim, Matt, Jerry and Joe for your comments..Yes I am excited about that ink..I hope to find one of those British Salt jars intact some day. Here is another rare local med broken, it is J.J. Turnball Pharmacy, Sydney C.B. Also a J.B.Williams Quick & Easy Shaving Powder tin can , embossed on the bottom..' J.B. Williams Glastonbury Conn. U.S.A., pat. 1906. It is in rough shape but we did find the top. I know some members collect tins regardless of condition, if someone wants it, pm me and you can have it for the cost of shipping.
Ya can't wait to get the claws back in the dump!

IMG_0076_zps87e5c6a2.jpg

IMG_0077_zps36497833.jpg

IMG_0079_zpsbd92ebf3.jpg

IMG_0080_zps727afc76.jpg

tftfan

Reaction score
Looks like fun ! too bad about the pharm. That ink is cool.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin