German Half post bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hartmans2

Reaction score
I'm hearing you all! I really am [;)] Can someone pretty pleeeease show me photos of the said 70's glass to compare to this? Or perhaps one pic. of the bottles someone said were like this one and found in Many Colors. Not that I don't believe anyone just like to SEE them.

Theresa

hartmans2

Reaction score
Penn Digger I "think" that most believe it's new.....

Someone asked where did I find this?

I found in here in California. I was at an estate sale and they were bringing boxes down from the rafters in the garage. This was wrapped in a towel inside one of the boxes. Lots of old bottles but most of them were stacked upon eachother. This was nicely wrapped with newspaper with towels around it.

Theresa

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I found in here in California. I was at an estate sale and they were bringing boxes down from the rafters in the garage. This was wrapped in a towel inside one of the boxes. Lots of old bottles but most of them were stacked upon eachother. This was nicely wrapped with newspaper with towels around it.

That might help. What else was in the box? Were they Wheaton commemorative type,, more obvious art glass types, decanters from distilleries etc. or were they definitely old?
It may indicate the kind of bottles and age period that the owner was collecting.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
So far, I've posted one bottle off American Bottle Auctions that is very similar to this one, although with "older, cruder looking" glass. No one else has posted a pic of a "new", "repro", "20th century" etc bottle similar to this one. We've heard a claim that the half post method has been reproduced in "new" glass. Let's see something to back that claim up. I have personally never seen a "new" half post method bottle, but that's just what I've seen. I'm an ink collector, so my opinion is hardly dispositive. Let's see an example of a 20th century half post bottle for this OP to compare to their purchase.

Jim G

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Check the link above for a new, paint decorated half-post bottle.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Also, please note that this bottle is NOT a reproduction, as there are no known commensurate bottles of the period. I do not have any photos of similar modern decorative bottles but I see them regularly at shows and auctions. As with many spurious objects, bottles of this type were slowly filtered into the marketplace and have fulfilled intentions by causing confusion and generating sometimes substantial prices.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello all this was my message to cyberdigger and his questions. He told me I should include it here as my answer - so here it is if I do it right.

Hi, I took note of your various other word descriptions and thought I should explain that we are talking about doing this forming on the end of a 5 to 7' steel blowpipe that has to be held up in the air and turned to cool the outer skin of the pliable hot glass. I am sure they had some big men because I have a seven gallon demijohn that was free blown on the end of a blowpipe and that would be a heavy load to handle. There would have to be a reason to create the variations you mentioned. RED M.

ajohn

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: saratogadriver

I'm not aware of anyone reproducing anything in the german half post method, which this bottle sure looks like it is. I'm guessing european made case bottle of some sort.

Has anyone seen anything repro half post method? It isn't from pier one that I know of, I don't know of them selling anything with an actual pontil.

Jim G
I believe these two were determined repos.A heck of a lot of work if you ask me!All the sides,for the most part, were ground flat.

B6AC519D437A4526A437EA4372892D88.jpg

Attachments

• B6AC519D437A4526A437EA4372892D88.jpg
    B6AC519D437A4526A437EA4372892D88.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 35

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward