How do you explain this seam

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
Contents stain line from the bottle laying on its side, maybe?

appliedlips

Reaction score
No, the pictures are deceiving it is raised inside and out and can easily be felt and perfectly straight. It seems to almost refract light and there is some blackish stain on the ridge inside the base but no where else. I have thought long and hard and now my head hurts and it still does not make any sense.

sandchip

Reaction score
Definitely an oddball. You say the raised line can be felt on the applied collar, too? Have you tried a black light, just for the heck of it?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Contents stain line from the bottle laying on its side, maybe?
I like that idea. It would be like a bubble level and be perfectly straight like that.
If you put a piece if coat hanger inside can you feel it catch on it?

Poison_Us

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: appliedlips

base

58FF6887F17646999C5188140B0E91D2.jpg

When I look at this, I see 2 lines (could be inside and outside...) but here at the corner, 1 line dips down for some reason. I dont know if that light bending the inside line or what. This may be the latest entry in the "unanswered questions" area.

sandchip

Reaction score
The line dipping down on the corner could be a case of parallax. Got a feeling that if veiwed straight on, they'd line up. I'm wondering if this bottle was laying in some kind of liquid, long enough for some of it to evaporate, leaving a line of deposit. That might explain the raised lines, inside and out, that line up with each other.

ktbi

Reaction score
Without being able to hold the bottle, I think I agree with Jimbo, because the line is inside and out and around the lip. I like oddball quirks in bottles. Makes them a little more interesting....Thnks for posting...Ron

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I agree with Caz (and poison). It looks like a thin ring of slag (or bubbles?) inside the glass when it was blown into the mold. I don't know enough about glassblowing to know if it would be possible to make such a symmetrical line while blowing the molten glass? Where's Red?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229