How do you explain this seam

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I will have to sleep on this one. I go in the hospital Tuesday so I will be laid up for a few days. I will get back to this one. At the present time I don't have a quick opinion and I am not able to stick with it. Sorry RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi to all of you, I looked at this and went to sleep thinking about it.
#1 There is no way this effect could have kept its straight line configuration from the gather to the bottle forming steps.
#2 Because the line form can apparently be felt on the surfaces inside and out. And because the line extends over the formed finish. It is my conclusion that the completed bottle had to be laid on its side in a liquid that was capable of marking the glass. It couldn't have been a chemical attack, or the whole bottle would have been etched on the down side of the bottle in the liquid.
It is interesting but I do not believe ti is relative to the making of the bottle.
RED Matthews

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: sandchip

The line dipping down on the corner could be a case of parallax. Got a feeling that if veiwed straight on, they'd line up. I'm wondering if this bottle was laying in some kind of liquid, long enough for some of it to evaporate, leaving a line of deposit. That might explain the raised lines, inside and out, that line up with each other.

Like I said.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Red explanation makes the most sense. I was thinking that maybe cleaned it in a strong acid but it the line feels rounded and not a sharp line like I'd expect if etched.

sandchip

Reaction score
Maybe I should just change my name to "The Invisible Man".

madman

Reaction score
hey doug what ever it is its a nice bottle thanks for posting i enjoy reading about and learning from the masters hey red take care!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229