How to tell if it's a good place to look?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

anj2006

Reaction score
Thats pretty funny!!! It was a coal town here to. The area dates to the early 1800's. And there are alot of untouched places to dig here. The mighty Susquehanna runs about 10 miles from my house. I like looking on those banks also. Found some cool things over the years. Alot of Indian artifacts are found around here also!! As a matter of fact, about 10 years ago i found a part of a stone axe in the next town over.. its a nice place to hunt...

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
High waters can make things difficult too. Sometimes random pieces can get scattered about and look like a dump site.

foster2100

Reaction score
High waters can make things difficult too. Sometimes random pieces can get scattered about and look like a dump site.

Ain't that the truth we've got a river right out in the backyard and flood water is no cleaning up and we have actually lost part of the yard over the years. When my wife's parents had it there was 9/10 of an acre now it's gone down because there have been trees that have literally gotten washed down on to the bank. West Virginia is just chocked full of rivers and creeks. I like to look in the creeks better than the rivers around here the creeks will flash flood first and the water will go down in those areas and then the main river will flood, so you have more rapid moving debris when it is flash flooding and a lot swifter waters so it actually gets deposited somewhere.

foster2100

Reaction score
Back in the 1800's the river behind the house had steamships on it and they had "locks" in the water I guess that was to help control the boats. This was a way of life around here up until I would say the 1920's and really they didn't have much choice in the matter the economy at the time depended on it.

foster2100

Reaction score
Thats pretty funny!!! It was a coal town here to. The area dates to the early 1800's. And there are alot of untouched places to dig here. The mighty Susquehanna runs about 10 miles from my house. I like looking on those banks also. Found some cool things over the years. Alot of Indian artifacts are found around here also!! As a matter of fact, about 10 years ago i found a part of a stone axe in the next town over.. its a nice place to hunt...

Oddly enough this isn't coal country in this part, this is more natural gas. I was sort of surprised that there wasn't no coal mines in my hometown at one time there I was believe 6 coal mining operations but there are no more today there. Southern WV is where a lot of the coal mining comes out of nowadays. I would absolutely love to find even an arrowhead but I haven't yet. Look on YouTube and there is a guy on there that hunts arrowheads and other Indian related stuff name of his channel is SenecaRelics, good stuff.

anj2006

Reaction score
I will definitely check that out! I am not into the indian thing that much! But dont get me wrong if i find it i will keep it!!! I have some good luck looking for bottles right where the streams and rivers meet! Everything just swirls around there and lays after awhile. The steamboats are pretty cool. We had steamboats on the Susquehanna in the 1800's. Would love to dig around there old docking points! Those locks would likely produce some great stuff!!!

anj2006

Reaction score
A few years back i was prowling around an old dump outside of sunbury, pa. And the waters came up, all the work i did was washed away, and u was about a 1/4 mile inland. That sucked!!! But goes with the hobby i guess.

foster2100

Reaction score
In my hometown we had several glass factories as matter of fact that was one of main industries in the north central part where I'm from. That was before my time but glass industry did exist when I was growing up on a much smaller scale. Really me liking this is sort of like revisiting the past of this area.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH